Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: smoothed wall = column?  (Read 852 times)

prklts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
smoothed wall = column?
« on: April 02, 2007, 09:41:00 pm »

Hey everyone!

Although psychologically we all enjoy smoothing the walls, asthetically they look better in their rough form. Why, you ask? The rough form:

a) doesn't clash with ore / gem deposits
b) doesn't produce columns

I think that columns detract more than they add. They shouldn't quite occur so prevalently, because they can clash with the rest of our fortress. That's my opinion anyway. Hehe.

Tim

ktrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: smoothed wall = column?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 02:09:00 am »

I always end up having that one type of raw stone (felsite?) that is indicated by the %  near my food stockpiles for some reason. So I engrave it because it always makes me think there's food sitting on the floor.
trey cancels Play Dwarf Fortress: Interrupted by Message Board.

Furious Fish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 03:19:00 am »

I don't see why ore & gems aren't smoothable, personally. A skilled engraver would include the bits that are poking out as part of the engraving.
Slave to Hogfroth - God of Muck

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 04:55:00 am »

I didn't like them either, so I created a tileset that smoothed walls look way way better in. http://www.bay12games.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=7&t=000716

Chthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 05:17:00 am »

Well, I solved this in my newest fortress by simply replacing all columns of stone/gems/ore with supports.  Now, if anyone tantrums, everyone gets whats coming to them!  ;)
''d be perfect if I weren''t so arrogant.

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 05:32:00 am »

I found out the hard way that support columns are not walls. I have seen pets run through them as if they were thin air.

Carlos Gustavos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 04:04:00 am »

I find smoothed walls to be overall more aesthetically pleasing than having different looking kinds of gray rock everywhere. I only have pillars were I want them even though I smooth the walls. Pillars don't appear randomly.