Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Merchantswims: A community game. Dwarven Survivor!  (Read 4744 times)

digitCruncher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Merchantswims: A community game. Dwarven Survivor!
« Reply #75 on: January 11, 2010, 03:18:24 pm »

1st Granite 264

Jesus was smiling, ear to ear, today, which was an odd occurance. When I asked why, he pointed to a large piece of paper.

Remember how I designed the boat? Well... there was a problem with it... we couldn't build it in the ocean, as we would drown. And we couldn't build it in a drydock, and then dig a hole into the ocean, as the ship wouldn't fit through the hole before the ocean came pouring in.

"Instead... I have designed this: An ocean draining device!!"

He revealed a massive diagram, of a circular tube that had large numbers on each side.

"This tube... it is 55 meters in diameter (11 tiles). It goes down several meters, takes a sharp turn horizontally, and then it is ejected further along. When running at full power, it has a cross section of nearly 100 square meters (89 tiles), and should be able to dry up the entire ocean, if we are lucky.
Code: [Select]
    XXX
  XXXXXXX
 XXXXXXXXX
 XXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXX
 XXXXXXXXX
 XXXXXXXXX
  XXXXXXX
    XXX
I was absolutely gobsmacked. "You honestly expect us to dig out THAT!? How... that will take years!!"

Jesus nodded. "The dwarves built a ring of adamantine spikes around this continent. Apparently, it took several hundred years to complete, with 1000 dwarves at a time. And we have to beat it."

I shook my head. "I wish you luck, but I doubt we could EVER dig something that impressive.

2nd Granite 264

Tally is furious!! Arcayna has ordered that her kennels, and one farm plot, be torn up to make room for the northern edge of the air-lock! Jesus has promiced, however, that we are only re-organising the layout, and has told her where to move the plot and the kennels to.

12th Granite 264
The elves have come, and that attracted the goblins, who immediatly ambushed them. This airlock is greatly needed!!

Elizar has been ordered to help out, and also is planning on using my steel chain mail to defend her! This is great news...

28th Granite 264

The elves have been wiped out, but Elizar is keeping a close eye on the goblin hoard, which has split into two groups.

In addition, the old meeting hall has been removed, and moved downstairs, to a much larger, roomier room!!

I have been told that I will smooth that entire room soon... once more important things have been taken care of...

15th Felsite 264

According to Zorgoth, the airlock is functional, but still not optimal. It has been successfully sealed, but access is only available from the south end.

Regardless, we have decided to let the humans in, as soon as summer comes around in 2 weeks time.

24th Felsite 264

Everyone is too busy, so we decided to pull the lever a little early this time.

The goblins haven't seemed to respond, which is OK... I guess...

15th Hematite 264

The humans have come... which is going to be interesting. The air-lock is in the 'accept caravan' mode, and Elizar is standing guard right above the merchants entrance, crossbow in hand.

The guild representative is outside, but not moving. He cannot find a way in...

Which means we are going to have to open up the ENTIRE FORT very soon, just so we can put in one final order...

Hopefully this doesn't backfire...

26th Hematite 264

In order to prevent confusion about what is our stuff, and what is the dead elves, we have engaged the airlock. The only problem at the moment, however, is that we seem to not have any trade goods. At all...

We are trading raw seeds, raw plants, the cloth from the elves, and a couple of other miscellanious things...

Pity we have so little roasts. I don't know where they went... aside from everyone's gullet!!!

16th Malachite 264

Jesus is FURIOUS!! He is running around, screaming at everyone like there is no tommorow.

He didn't get to trade. It turns out that selling 1 steel bar is barely worth buying the iron and pig iron bars back. As a result, we had nothing to trade.

It didn't help that no-one decided they would provide goods to the depot either...

But with an entire year without any goods traded... that doesn't bode well.

We need to stop making roasts for trade goods, and instead make cloth goods for the elves, and steel goblets for the humans.

If we can find the time to do that...

20th Malachite 264

Jesus managed to calm down enough to talk to the Human diplomat... ironically he wants prepared meals, tanned hides, and ... armor.

This is good. I can make steel plate mail over most of the year, and quickly make tons of cheap, prepared meals, during spring!!

Zorgoth is making lots and lots of trousers, and sewing images on them to improve thier value.

13th Galena 264

This is a problem. We don't have enough steel to make any plate mail. This means our entire exports to the humans will be... *gulp* prepared meals. And I will have to fight the others off to prevent them eating them!!

We have started exploratory mining, as well as starting up a little booze stockpile, as we are in need of a little more booze to survive until the elves come...

13th Limestone 264

Another ambush, and Elizar quits her hauling jobs, to help defend the southern reaches of our fortress.

18th Limestone 264

Praise Zorgoth!! He should really be making some clothes, but who cares, when he has found this:

13th Sandstone 264

To clear the HUGE number of dogs from the fort, we have decided to kill all non-wardog adult dogs. This will provide us with the tanned hides we need to trade to the humans!!

3rd Timber 264

More resources!! This time, we have struck native gold...

I will probably refine that too, and make some gold goblets, or golden crafts of some sort...

13th Timber 264

And native silver too... This is great! We won't need to mine for quite some time after this!

1st Granite 265

Spring has come, and nothing has happened. Literally, nothing.

Not even the roof has been properly constructed.

Anyway, we have decided to cease expansion of the fort until all the current jobs have been completed. The only job that will continually be expanded is the construction of the stone roof, to protect Elizar further...

But nothing is being done. The tanners shop we needed constructed 2 seasons ago still hasn't even been started yet. The butchers shop is cluttered with refuse which is just rotting away. We have only 1 steel bar, and no meals, and our booze supply is steadily dropping!

The levers to open the outer hatches and let the elves in has been pulled, in anticipation for the elves coming. We plan to ask for booze and cloth. Lots of cloth.

Jesus is saying that killing the elves would not do anything, as the main problem is that we have too many jobs to complete, and killing elves would just mean we have a whole lot more hauling jobs to do. But even with Elizar on permanent hauling duty, we are still up to our ears in work.

And Arcayna hasn't had her second child. I think Zorgoth doesn't want to risk losing a second child to the goblins...

Which means escaping this place will be entirely up to us...

Sorry about the chronic lack of images... nothing is happening at the moment, as everyone is just... doing hauling it seems like...

The fort has expanded out to a huge size, so it takes some time for the dwarves to move to thier job location at them moment. Now... we just hope that we can eventually fix up this backlog of jobs...

In the meantime, I will be having Dermonster only cook and brew over summer, Tally will only butcher and tan, Zorgoth will only do clothing and haul, Jesus will only trade / talk with diplomats / do masonry, and Arcayna will only do masonry, and haul.

This way, we can finally get past that annoying backlog of jobs. We have enough plants in storage to be safe anyway...

[Edit]Oh, and apparently the no-quality steel plate mail Dermonster made was worth 3000 db!! Combined with the current ~190% bonus for trading armor with the humans, this could be VERY profitable!![/Edit]

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-7786-merchantswims
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 03:23:16 pm by digitCruncher »

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 11, 2010, 03:42:53 pm »

:D
 ??? why arent we dead yet!?
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

elizar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 11, 2010, 03:43:28 pm »

Once Elizar hits great marksdwarf, she will be quite incabable of hauling duties, but is praised for her goblin hunting duties.

What's her killsheet?
A quick scan of the stocks menu shows that one of the dead pack animals has a bin full of silk cloth!  It is speedily unforbidden, and my moody glassmaker sprints off to retrieve his prize amongst the smoking, charred, blood-soaked ruin that is the outdoors, totally oblivious to the carnage that was instigated on his behalf.

digitCruncher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 14, 2010, 04:19:51 am »

Elizars killsheet, and name, as requested:

1st Granite 265
Arcayna brought us all together for our annual major meeting. And this time, she was smiling.

"Alright everyone, I have thought long and hard about this, and I think I know of a way to get us off of this rock... but it will require everyone to work together, and become a better team than what we currently are. I hope we don't have a repeat of 264, as we NEED those traders!!

"For the next two decades, we will be working on a different mega-project, which will take all our effort to complete.

"Between 265 and 268 we will finish up our traps, building a massive trap compartment underground, which will kill all goblins. Jesus has drawn up the plans, and modified them in wake of an impending Kobold ambushing party, which will be immune to our... regular traps. The bad part is that it will require another 300 or so weapons, about a third of that in mechanisms, and quite a few floodgates. If we can complete it by the end of 268, we will be on schedule.

"The next 6 years, 269-274, will be designing and building the shipyard, in which we will contruct the ship. The shipyard will need to be entirely sealed on 3 edges, and may have to penetrate an aquifier, although I hope not.

"During those 6 years, and the following years, we will be running on a goblinite economy. We won't produce trade goods for ourselves... instead we will simply sell all the goblins gear! This should provide us with enough goods to purchase food, booze, cloth, wood, and metals!

"The following 6 years, from 275 through to 280, we will be constructing the ship in proper. The hull might not be complete, dependant on our sourcing of iron and iron ores, but everything else WILL be complete by 280". Arcayna said 'WILL' with so much force that we all jumped in shock.

"Finally, over the final 4 years, we will channel out the Merchantswims official 'ocean-draining sewer'. Although this will probably take significantly less than 4 years, we need to also take into account... unforseen actions.

"In all... we will be home by 285, and leave here by 284!! So don't fret... it is only 20 years away!"

Personally, I think that 20 years is a very, very long time...

9th Granite 265

The elves have arrived, and we haven't yet opened the outer doors. This is a good sign...

Elizar has been stationed on point...

27th Granite 265

Jesus has traded with the elves, and has completed everything he needs, so we are shutting the outside doors... for now.

However, surprisingly, the Elves didn't bring us any cloth, which was quite disappointing! We bought a TON of plants, booze, and a copule of wooden weapons for our traps!! They also didn't bring any wood...

5th Slate 265

We have our first masterpiece item! Jesus constructed a masterwork wooden spiked ball, which will be devestating in a trap!!

13th Felsite 265

We have run out of wood logs, and apparently, we haven't even made a small dent in our starting order for spiked balls... We apparently made 13, our of approximatly 90...

18th Felsite 265

We have decided we have enough war dogs, and now we need to make LOTS and LOTS of meals from thier meat. I guess we are having dog for dessert soon :(

10th Hematite 265

Humans have finally come, which means we can trade much better stuff now!!

We don't need booze, and I think our food supplies are OK for now, but we really need those wooden logs and those

But an ambush has been spotted near the humans, which is rather nasty. At least they can find protection in our fortress...

19th Hematite 265

Just before I went to sleep today, I saw Elizar crying near Digit's tomb. It hasn't ever been moved, and it just lies there. I hadn't noticed it for quite some time, but when I saw Elizar crying, I went over to see what was wrong.

Apparently, nothing was wrong, and she was crying with joy. Mostly. She had made a promise to Digit that she would one day become a great marksdwarf, one who could be relied on to ensure that no more people would die like Digit. But today she managed to hit a apple at a distance of 200 meters, three times in a row. By dwarven status, that makes her a great marksdwarf, and a better marksdwarf than Digit ever was.

Ironically, this is my first elite marksdwarf. Even my other fort, which nearly has a king, simply has 12 marksdwarves, but none of them are elite!

21st Hematite 265

Jesus sold my plate mail for a MASSIVE 5,976 dwarf bucks. This bought practically the entire store!! The store included several iron and pig iron bars, 80 logs of wood, and tons of booze, and around 400 units of cheese. SO MUCH CHEESE!!

I have been told I am making no more meals, by Arcania, so that sucks. But I will be rendering some dog fat, and forging steel bars over the next couple of months. I start cooking in Winter! And I look forward to it!!

11th Malachite 265

It is a miracle!! A miracle I tell you!

The humans were leaving, but Jesus wasn't sad at all. In fact he was grinning. I was a little confused for a while, but it seems as if I was the only one who didn't know...

Then Arcayna came out from the underground, and smiled at me. I thought I heard the mewing of a cat, but then she said:

"Dermonster... say hello to the newest member of the fort: Roger Vucarlerteth!"

We have a baby... and as such... a hope!

13th Malachite 265

And with good news... comes bad.

We have opened up the fort, in anticipation of the humans leaving. But they are taking thier time leaving, and as such, the goblins took thier opportunity. We have another ambush, right next to our very open trading depot, and another to our north (not displayed)

The humans want maces, spears, footware, bone crowns (oddly specific), and ammunition. Prepared meals are still fetching a reasonable price (167% of regular value)

I shall make 3 steel maces over the autumn/winter break

7th Galena 265

We are becoming concerned with the Humans. For some reason, they are not leaving the fort... we don't know the reasons, but I fear they may be trying to invade our fort!!

We have ordered that the trade depot be deconstructed so they have no excuses to stay here...

25th Galena 265

We have discovered a magma pipe for ourselves, which is great news! Technically, Zorgoth wasn't meant to be exploratory mining down there, but it doesn't matter, as we now have guaranteed access to an infinite amount of fuel. Oh, and obsidian swords will now be made instead of wooden spiked balls!!

12th Limestone 265
We will need to give many gifts to the humans to earn thier trust back. The humans left all thier goods in fear, and so, we will have a VERY bad trade next year. This sucks, as we need thier wood more than ever now!!

That is... if they don't declare war on us...

19th Sandstone 265
We need our defences up as quick as possible!! As a result, everyone now has been told that we must move the clothes and waepons from the entrance, to an appropiate stockpile...

Hopefully our defences are sufficient... But Zorgoth is making some traps outside our hole in the wall...

18th Moonstone 265
Our defences are up, and not a moment too soon (and the traps have been cancelled). A goblin raiding party killed our last cat, but at least Elizar has scored three more kills, a human and two goblins, before they fled yet again!

19th Moonstone 265

Jesus looked through what the humans dropped behind, and found 4 cat cages!! We will be replacing our cats as soon as possible now...

17th Opal 265
I have had enough of milling and rendering fat... now I am planning on making meals. Lots, and lots of meals. We have tons of longland seeds as well, so I will cook those, as we have a massive surplus. Plus, we can always trade for more...

But on my first day back at cooking, I have made a masterpiece meal!!

Pity it is a longland seeds roast >.>

20th Obsidian 265

WOW!! So many new puppies!! Within the last 2 days, we have had over 10 new-born puppies. I expect for the season to come, we will have many, many more puppies being born. Dog roasts... here we come!! (Next year, when they are fully grown, of course.

There were more alerts, of course, but that is just a snippet of the messages I kept on getting spammed

And that is that, 265 over and done with. The only problem is that this year, I was supposed to have a quarter of the traps completed. As of now, I have a couple of the KOBOLD floodgates in place, but not even installed.

I think it is a bad omen that I am already behind schedule, and it is only the first year...

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-7801-merchantswims
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 05:37:08 am by digitCruncher »

Eztuzt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 14, 2010, 04:37:29 am »

Make me a baby! :D

Eztuzt/ AKA The Future Awesomesauce Chef. Preferrable male >.>
In August of 1943, while serving as skipper of the PT-109, John F. Kennedy's boat was ripped in two by the Japanese destroyer Amagiri. Kennedy and his crew were tossed into the water and surrounded by flames. Kennedy, despite a chronic back injury and an even more chronic boning-induced-exhaustion, managed to swim four hours to safety while towing an injured crewman by the life jacket strap with his teeth. His fucking teeth!

elizar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 14, 2010, 05:21:22 am »

Yay! I'm a great Marksdwarf! Now I get to loaf around when the seasonal ambush has passed.

The problem with traps is the leaders, both local and govern, and those who are in the legends and not genned for the ambush. When they step on a trap, it becomes 'revealed', thus the next raiding parties will be aware of them.

Thus it is not quite realistic to plop down traps and call it a day/fort, as they will in time become useless.

P.S. Strange title, but not as strange as most goes. Strangled flute :D
A quick scan of the stocks menu shows that one of the dead pack animals has a bin full of silk cloth!  It is speedily unforbidden, and my moody glassmaker sprints off to retrieve his prize amongst the smoking, charred, blood-soaked ruin that is the outdoors, totally oblivious to the carnage that was instigated on his behalf.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 14, 2010, 04:09:48 pm »

yay, im a... um... master cook at least i think.

what are my stats now? relationships too, im in so many communities and following i cant keep track any more.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 14, 2010, 07:00:27 pm »

Everyone loves my masterwork wooden balls.
Since they menace with spikes.

It's amusing how even stranded, dwarves are able to keep a calm, nearly machine-like approach.

"So yeah we're stuck. Now what we need is 6k pieces of wood, 303 mechanisms and 293 cats, all having adopted Jesus in a freaky twist of fate."

digitCruncher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 14, 2010, 07:26:51 pm »

They are only calm because they are perpetually liquored up, and out of thier minds.

Also, they each individually own around 20,000 dwarf bucks, if you share the goods around evenly... being rich helps with sanity.

It was rather disturbing to see 'Urist McStranded admired a fine wooden casket recently' ... back when Digits corpse was in the meeting hall. It also seems that the death of an alcoholic hunter also helps with sanity.

digitCruncher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 15, 2010, 09:53:32 pm »

Dermonsters non-dabbling skills:

Talented Brewer
Expert Cook
Novice Grower
Competent Miller
Novice Mechanic
Competent Wood Burner
Novice Furnace Operator

20th Granite 266

The elves have arrived, but we are up to our ears in puppies, and so moving is extremely slow. We will soon have to cage them, I think, as at the moment I am sure this is slowing our production by a HUGE factor...

We have bought tons of plants, as well as quite a large amount of wooden weapons. If Jesus can gather a few more items of value, we might even be able to purchase ammunition and bows!

13th Slate 266
The merchants left, and Jesus was too busy resting, and putting puppies in cages to do the second round of trading.

Nonetheless, we have aquired quite a few good items from the elves...

And I am still making Longland seed roasts... Although I made another masterpiece longland grass seeds roast, with some prickle berries I could find.

22nd Slate 266
Jesus is now a legendary... appraiser, our second legendary dwarf! (After Zorgoths Legendary Wood-cutting)

20th Felsite 266
I feel so much wastage...

Tally has been asked to help with food hauling, but almost all my new roasts are rotting before they can be safely stored away.

I am not sure why I bother, but I am always getting better at cooking. Maybe one day I will be a legendary chef >.>

However, Arcayna says as soon as I stop cooking, I am back on smelting duties, but he hopes that I can continue cooking for around 4 years or so.

11th Hematite 266
The Humans have arrived, hopefully bringing many good gifts :D And hopefully they are not too annoyed at last years shenanagans...

Judging by the 6 carts that have arrived, they aren't.

Tally is now a legendary Miner (and has been for a while, I just haven't noticed), and everyone has been ordered to drop EVERYTHING to help haul everything

27th Hematite 266

We have bought tons of cheese, meat, iron weapons, metal bars, wood, charcoal, and several bins of cloth. Zorgoth has been ordered to make more clothes, as the ones we are currently wearing are falling apart, and Arcayna isn't keen on walking around in the buff. Elizar is lucky... her armor never wears out!!

From now on, we only order cloth and metal bars and charcoal and wood. That is all we need, and that is all we will ask for.

We traded 16,000 dwarf bucks of goods for 13,000 dwarf bucks of raw goods. That is a GREAT deal!!

6th Malachite 266

The humans want rings, scepters, and earrings (which is easy enough). However, prepared meals aren't selling well this year...

11th Malachite 266

Roger is now a child. He runs around, trying new things, and is very good at exploring. I just hope he never explores outside of the fort...

2nd Galena 166
We have discovered the magma pipe! And it is big!

It reaches right up to the level two levels below our fortress, which we have named the 'Upper Trap Level'

Getting the magma will be difficult. We don't want to move it, as history has said that whoever breaks the magma will almost certainly perish. However, fire imps lie inside it, and they are very resiliant to being shot with big iron bolts, so it will be difficult to cover

8th Galena 266
We are all sealed up for the long dry season. And Jesus is tougher... But these flies are just getting more and more numerous!!

17th Sandstone 266
I don't know how much more of this daily grind I can take. It has taken several months, and we still seem to be doing nothing. Sure, we have a slightly more defended fortress, and our traps are slowly going up, and Zorgoth is now mining for Obsidian for Tally, but there is nothing happening in my life.

Every day I get up, clear the kitchen of the couple of rotten stacks of food, and then make a few more small stacks of near-worthless roasts. It is a chore... but hopefully, one day, it will pay off.

26th Moonstone 266
An ambush!! Finally, some excitement!!

The only problem is that they are near the well... the only place where it was impossible to build any fortifications, which will mean that Elizar will have to be very cautious...

The final goblin to fall managed to dodge about half a dozen of Elizars bolts! However, she scored two more kills, pushing her kill count to 23 notable kills, and 2 animal kills!

Jesus made another masterpiece spiked wooden ball... it is only his second masterpiece though... I have made 4 already!!

28th Opal 266

While I was packing away some food (as someone needed to do it, and thus I have stopped cooking for, probably, the rest of the year), Arcayna gave more good news to the fort:

Another boy, this time called Arrkhal.

I thought it was an odd name, but we are odd dwarves. I guess we can call our children whatever we like...

1st Granite 267

The end of a very long, and very boring year. We should be half-constructed our traps now... And yet we only have 30 weapons installed in the upper trap compartment. We might need to construct a better trap... Zorgoth has an idea, and he is going for it over the next two years.

We have enough obsidian to produce enough obsidian swords to defend us, but just like 265, we don't have many trade goods to give to the traders. Luckily, we don't need many trade goods, we still haven't got through the cloth supplies from last year, and our wood supplies are very good for another year. We will want more bars however, and we want to buy everything, so we will have to whip something up as soon as possible...

But we now have 8 dwarves in our fortress... which is great. We also have changes of clothes, and plentiful food and booze supplies (Approximatly 3 years of booze is still available).

But Arcayna is starting to drop hints that Tally will soon replace me as the major trade-good exporter... which I don't mind... too much.

But... to think that I thought we were all going to die at the end of 260... in fact I gave the amazingly wrong prediction we would die by 261, and here we are, 6 years after we were supposed to be all dead, and we are all STILL alive. And we even have grown in numbers!!

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-7805-merchantswims

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 16, 2010, 03:07:35 pm »

it WILL happen, mark my words.

probably with the fire imps. someone is gonna be set on fire and go for a drink and KABLOOIE! >.>

digitCruncher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 19, 2010, 08:17:25 pm »

1st Granite 267
Our yearly meeting was rather disappointing. The three main leaders of the fort, Jesus, Arkania, and Zorgoth all had bad news to say.

Firstly, Jesus spoke. His was the best report of the lot. He was happy that we had discovered magma, as that meant that we could make almost limitless iron. Unfortunatly, as far as he knew so far, we still don't have enough iron to make the steel hull of the boat. Our food supplies don't look promising either, 4 units of meat, 10 of fish, 47 plants, and 11 prepared meals. That will last us 7 years apparently, however, so long as we don't have any more children, and don't brew anything. But we have 350 units of booze, which is nice!

Zorgoth said that he was ripping up the ENTIRE previous trap system, taking us back to square one. However, he said, the new trap system is about a third of the size of the previous one, easier to expand, and easier to defend with Elizar as well! But we could be as much as two years behind schedule.

Finally, Arcanya was worried, as she always was, about the ever-growing work schedule. In order to break into the magma pipe, she had decided that we wouldn't move the pipe an inch... instead we will cap over it, and work on the top of the pipe. To do that, we need to kill the fire imps and fire men, and she was not willing to sacrifice anybody to do that... instead she wanted us to train *40* war dogs, and release them all at once, and send in Arcanya if they still don't move...

Although this would kill the Fire Imps, the resident magma man would still be a signficant problem.

At this time, Elizar spoke out... which was scary, as she was all the way at the top of her snipers nest. With a yell of 'Ambush!' the meeting disbanded, and Elizar moved to the northern wall to defend. This time, the ambush had two bowmen, so it was up to her great marksdwarf skills!

However, this ambush was petrified of us. All that was needed was to cripple one of the goblins, and then shoot and kill the bowman leader: Atu Doomstraps, the Aching Relic of Hexes. I think the goblins are missing one of thier leaders...

13th Granite 267
Yet another ambush... but this ambush came at exactly the same time as an elven caravan arrived!! This is worrying, but Elizar is ready...

14th Granite 267
EMERGENCY!! Three people are trapped on the roof of the fortress: Arcayna, Roger, and Arrkhal!! They are at the mercy of the goblin archer.

19th Granite 267
Elizar could never get a good shot at that cursed bowman, but finally today, it has been killed. Unfortunatly, it killed two war dogs, but thankfully it didn't even scratch any of the three other dwarves. It took three entire sets of ammunition, but the bowman is finally killed... That was a scary couple of days for everyone, we didn't want to lose more dwarves to the goblin menace!

Elizar scored four more kills, including Bax Scourgedoor, the Ambiguous Alliance of Hurricanes. She is killing more and more legendary goblins. Hopefully our presence will damage the goblin presence on this continent enough to finally wipe them out. If we survive..

20th Granite 267

Another ambush, and this time, for some reason, Arcayna didn't fire at the goblin!! The melee dwarves are already in the fortress, as the outer gates have not yet been closed...

Thankfully, everything died, although Elizar decided that she would practice hitting goblins with maces...
But we have lost 6 war dogs ALREADY!!

We have tons of armor just outside the depot, so we are leaving the doors open, and ordering EVERYONE to move them inside...

22nd Granite 267

Yet another ambush... the fourth for the season. We can't keep this up for much longer...

However, this time, Elizar is now a legendary marksdwarf... a champion!! However, over the past two battles, she has racked up no less than *10* goblin kills, including Ago Clenchedmenaces the Eater of Permanencies. She has 34 notches on her bed...

10th Something 267

Jesus finally traded with the Elves today, and managed to get a couple more wooden weapons for our traps, but nothing else. We do have a little bit of trade goods, however, which is OK.

15th Hematite 267

The Humans have came over, and we are planning on trading armor. But just as we started moving things to the depot, three ambush parties attacked the caravans. Elizar was told to defend as fast as possible, but was too slow.

17th Hematite 267

A fourth ambush party has been found in the north

18th Hematite 267

And a fifth. We CAN'T HANDLE THIS MANY AMBUSHES!! Especially when all the human caravans were wiped out themselves. So there goes our wood supplies for another year...

But Elizar managed to pull off another 4 kills, and we only lost one dog today

4th Malachite 267

Today the Human diplomat left. I don't know how he will respond to the slaughter that was the trade caravans of the humans...

Today, I asked him an important question... the most important question you could ask when you have fought of 9 ambushes in 2 seasons.

"Will the Humans remember us?"

The Human diplomat, Wur Olumgigol stared at me for a second. Then he replied: "You are not human... so... your stories will be rare. But there are great tales of bravery... some of them will continue on throughout history. I don't think any settlement of just six beings has ever become so rich and successful."

I was confused. "8... dwarves. 9 if you count Digit."

It was Wur's turn to be confused. "Digit? Who is he? I knew Arcanya had 3 children, one whom had been captured by goblins"

I shook my head. "Digit... died in early in the second year. You probably wouldn't have met him. He died... hunting for our food."

Wur shook his head. "I don't think his legacy will continue. In fact... I think the only tales which will be remembered would be Arcayna founding this settlement, and Elizar killing ... what was it, 30 goblins?"

"38", I said. "It has been a tough year."

Wur smiled. "I am starting to like you stout dwarves. Enjoy your goods, you are the richest non-noble people on this continent. Enjoy each day as it comes... and don't give up. The day you stop fighting is the day when the goblins finally break through."

I have asked Jesus how much wealth we hold in our fort. He smiled. Apparently, we have 82,000 dwarf bucks of goods, shared amongst the eight of us. I like the idea of having 10,000 dwarf bucks of goods each.

20th Malachite 267

I spoke with Elizar. She seems more and more dejected. She is refusing to accept any more war dogs ... but is concerned about the amount of ammunition remaining. In the main ammunition stockpile, there are only 50 iron bolts...

1st Limestone 267

Zorgoth has organised a party in the massive dining room...

Everyone is planning on going. It will be great for morale... except Elizar... who still stands stoicly on the balcony, warm, humid air blowing in from the west. Always ready to kill more goblins, to protect us.

17th Limestone 267

It has happened... our first kobold ambush...

They are really busy slaughtering all of Jesus' cats. All of them. All those that were left outside

4th Sandstone 267

Elizar has killed two of the kobolds, but two more bowmen just are standing just outside of our fort, and Elizar isn't attacking them. But they are not attacking back, so it is OK... So far. We still have 6 months before the elves come...

But Jesus is not taking the loss of his cats very well.

23rd Sandstone 267

The Kobolds are ripping apart our productivity... so we have opened up the gates. Hopefully, this will cause Elizar to start shooting back.

23rd Sandstone 267
I just heard Jesus scream at the wall... our forts first, extremely fast, tantrum.

28th Sandstone 267
We opened the gates, and Elizar killed the bowmen... and what would you know... another ambush, the TENTH for this year, has been detected...

10th Timber 267

Jesus calmed down, but only after fighting with one of the animals. This fort is breaking apart.

Oh, did I mention that both the outer AND inner doors are BOTH jammed open? Yeah...

15th Moonstone 267
I have decided to start cooking a bit more food, as we are running low, and Jesus is now almost perpetually depressed, so I will cook him something nice :D

17th Opal 267
We have completed another 30 spiked wooden balls. Our trap hall is rather long, and Zorgoth *thinks* we can fight off any major goblin ambush with the traps alone. Which gives us a good safety margin. I hope.

8th Obsidian 267

Our traps have caught thier first victim... one of our war dogs. They hit with so much force, that the only thing we can identify is his left rear leg!

23rd Obsidian 267

Another Kobold Thief came. This time, Elizar managed to get one shot in, hitting him in his lower leg. This slowed him down enough for the other war dogs to pounce, and slaughter him.

1st Obsidan 268

Another year over. Our eighth year has been completed...

But if we have another year like that again, we won't be capable of surviving another year. Our gates are locked open, we are running low on war dogs, and we haven't traded with the humans for a second year in a row (although we have seized thier goods... so long as the doors are locked open.

The outside fort is complete. The one good news.

Happy new year everyone. Everyone except Jesus, that is...

Stats
Tally
Ultra-Mighty
Very Agile
Tough

Talented Butcher
Skilled Tanner
Skilled Leatherworker
Grower
Legendary Miner
Animal Trainer
Proficient Animal Caretaker
Bone Carver

Zorgoth
Extremely Strong
Perfectly Agile
Superdwarvenly Tough

Legendary Wood Cutter
Proficient Axedwarf
Competent Carpenter
Competent Grower
Competent Clothier
Novice Butcher
Legendary Miner
Skilled Mechanic

Dermonster

Strong
Very Agile
Extremely Tough

Talented Brewer
Professional Cook
Novice Grower
Dabbline Mason
Competent Miller
Novice Mechanic
Competent Wood Burner
Novice Furnace Operator

Arcayna
Strong
Unbelievably Agile
Very Tough

Great Grower
Proficent Herbalist
Skilled Bone Carver
Competent Carpenter
Novice Stone Crafter
Competent Mason

Jesus
Extermely Strong
Very Agile
Superdwarvenly Tough

Expert Carpenter
Legendary Appraiser
Negotiator
Persuader
Flatterer
Intimidator
Grower
Judge of Intent
Accomplished Record Keeper
Novice Mason

Elizar
Extremely Strong
Very Agile
Extremely Tough

Adept Grower
Proficient Herbalist
Legendary Marksdwarf
Novice Bone Carver

The Trap room (not quite complete). It will allow constant access for hostiles to enter... but it isn't easy ;)

And the final image of Merchantswims. There will be no more 'improvements'. Enjoy!! (First major above ground structure complete!! Yay!!

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-7824-merchantswims

elizar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 20, 2010, 11:57:09 am »

I'm getting all the local leaders! :D And the dialogue with the human was rather nice. And I think they don't go to war with you because of caravans, it's the liaison dying that triggers it, even if he/she died from old age.

I hope you remember my tip about traps, once a leader crosses a trap, the goblins will know about it and never stand on it again. It goes back in the days of 2D, when a liason crossed over traps, his civ knew about them thus your possible trap corridor was rendered useless if you went to war with the elves and humans.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]