Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fashion, uniforms, etc.  (Read 1334 times)

tsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fashion, uniforms, etc.
« on: January 15, 2010, 12:00:02 pm »

I was thinking, now that ToadyOne put in that sophisticated system for setting military uniforms, how cool would it be to offload something similar into the RAWs based on culture and religion?

Basically, I am proposing that attributes, positions and professions be linked to certain automated/randomly generated "uniform" sets. Some examples:
Cooks wear aprons made of cloth.
Butchers wear leather aprons.
Champions who are not in armor wear hakamas to denote their rank like higher ranked martial artists do.
Priests wear vestments, preferably with decorations specific to their religion.
...etc.
Theoretically fashions could result from changing these baselines, with nobles demanding clothing of a different color or style and dwarves deciding that they need to wear cloaks, not capes, etc.

Obviously this isn't something that would have a world shaking impact on gameplay but it would do a lot to add individuality to cultures and individual entities especially, with the potential to affect other things in fun ways in the future.
...Unless your message is "drvn 2 hsptl 4 snak bite" or something, you seriously DO have the time to spell it out.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Re: Fashion, uniforms, etc.
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 12:08:41 pm »

I don't see this being unreasonable; there's already entity-based randomization of available clothing items, as evidenced by things like turbans being scattered in the human raws. It wouldn't be too much of a step farther to randomly generate uniform-types or consistent engraving/decorations for professions' items.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 09:09:07 pm »

Fashions + dwarf women = Urist McHusband is out of food money this month.

I support this suggestion though :D  As long as we're given more control over choosing which clothes get embroidered or dyed, this would be a very interesting way to get dwarves happy.  Or a way to suprise players when all his dwarves demand black robes and start engraving pentagrams everywhere.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 09:12:46 pm »

Fashions + dwarf women = Urist McHusband is out of food money this month.
Dwarves don't seem to subscribe to any of our gender stereotypes. It could as easily be the man spending all his money on a new dress as it could be the woman spending all her money on booze.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 11:10:44 pm »

You know, if you notice, human priests often have a single cloak and hood, each with a design relating to their religion. Go look in adventurer mode if you wish.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 04:10:06 am »

There's been a previous thread about fashion.  It would be helpful if people replying in this thread try to build on those ideas.

tsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 02:28:00 pm »

Similar but not what I meant. I'm talking about assigning different kinds of clothing items to entities based on the individual's attributes and/or position within the matrix of their culture, not adding tags to pre-existing clothing items to add flavor.  The two would go well in combination, though.
...Unless your message is "drvn 2 hsptl 4 snak bite" or something, you seriously DO have the time to spell it out.

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010, 11:57:41 pm »

Is it me, or do you really just want dwarves to wear clothes appropriate to their job.

Butchers, surgeons, cooks and mechanics wear cheap, but durable aprons, smocks and jumpsuits, not because of cultural fashions, but because they have practical advantages, like keeping blood off of you.

Notably, doctors wear green smocks instead of brown aprons, and mechanics wear blue jumpsuits rather than purple smocks, mainly for cultural reasons. So, there is some merit to some sort of system that accounts for both at the same time.
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,
if you don't learn the lessons of the dessert.
--but you do have to keep walking.

tsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 01:11:09 am »

That would be one side effect, but it would have more far reaching effects. Rather than being a skill-specific kludge it would be a more robust conditional system such that we could have things like:

* Veterans wearing a mark of their service.
* Religious orders having their own symbolic clothing.
* Different civs favoring different clothing, including variations between civs and in different climates.
* Hunters wearing "trophy" items, determined both on a civ level (how much value does the culture put on hunting skill) and an entity level (is the individual personality such that they will do it even though it's not the norm for the culture?)

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2010, 04:01:49 pm »

Is it me, or do you really just want dwarves to wear clothes appropriate to their job.

Butchers, surgeons, cooks and mechanics wear cheap, but durable aprons, smocks and jumpsuits, not because of cultural fashions, but because they have practical advantages, like keeping blood off of you.

Notably, doctors wear green smocks instead of brown aprons, and mechanics wear blue jumpsuits rather than purple smocks, mainly for cultural reasons. So, there is some merit to some sort of system that accounts for both at the same time.
Brown 'pron won't show blood so well.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets