Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Oklo-style 'natural' nuclear 'reactors'  (Read 2075 times)

Lord Nightmare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Oklo-style 'natural' nuclear 'reactors'
« on: January 28, 2008, 01:39:00 pm »

A real, natural nuclear reactor formed at Oklo in Gabon, Africa, about 1.7 billion years ago. http://www.ocrwm.doe.gov/factsheets/doeymp0010.shtml  
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oklo
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_nuclear_fission_reactor  
http://www.npp.hu/tortenelem/foldreaktor-e.htm
This could happen in DF if a large deposit of pitchblende occurs in an aquifer. should create steam as it reacts, and if you mine into it you get burned by steam and radiation.

LN

[ January 28, 2008: Message edited by: Lord Nightmare ]

"When life gives you zombies... *CHA-CHIK!* ...you make zombie-ade!"

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Oklo-style 'natural' nuclear 'reactors'
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 01:56:00 pm »

I'll bet there'll be tonnes of people proclaiming how this would be a waste of time or how Toady shouldn't bother with something that wouldn't make a difference.

But... c'mon! Nuclear dwarves baby!

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 03:36:00 pm »

The Sun is also a nuclear reactor and Toady's already added that in.  When will you people be satisfied!   :p

Nate879

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 03:46:00 pm »

If you implement this, don't forget to add "radiation sickness".  This would cause dwarves that come into contact with radiation to become very ill several years later.
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who don''t.<P>The ultimate fate of the universe.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 09:38:00 pm »

And, in severe cases, grow extra beards.

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 09:42:00 pm »

Whaddaya mean severe? The beardier, the better!
Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 10:48:00 pm »

code:

Dwarfy McDwarf
head
head
upper body
lower body
right upper arm
left upper arm
right lower arm
left lower arm

I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Furious Fish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 11:08:00 pm »

I think you mean:

code:

Dwarfy McDwarf
head
head
upper body
lower body
upper beard
lower beard
right upper beard
left upper beard
right lower beard
left lower beard

Slave to Hogfroth - God of Muck

Cosmonot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 02:18:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by umiman:
<STRONG>I'll bet there'll be tonnes of people proclaiming how this would be a waste of time or how Toady shouldn't bother with something that wouldn't make a difference.

But... c'mon! Nuclear dwarves baby!</STRONG>

Considering that there's only one on Earth, and a Dwarf Fortress world is smaller than the UK, most players would probably never encounter one of these unless they are altered to occur much more frequently.

And if someone did encounter one, there's not a lot you can do with it. It would make your dwarves sick, and they probably wouldn't be able to protect themselves from the effects or use it for anything they couldn't do with water and magma.

Which is not to say that weird poisonous/mutagenic substances aren't cool, just that this one is either impractical or implausible.

Kobolds carry copper crossbows.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 02:23:00 am »

I still want a post-apocalyptic Dwarf Fortress mod...  Make your own vault to dwell in, or form a group called "The Cousinhood of Copper".

Then, you could have as many mutants wandering around abandoned nuclear power plants as you could ever desire...

mmm...  mutants....

Lord Nightmare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 02:31:00 am »

Cosmonot: Two. there was a smaller one somewhere in colorado. And there are probably more that haven't been found, under the ocean perhaps.

As for their purpose: they're an intermittent source of heat/steam, which may be pipable later (overland heating perhaps) along with water. The steam isn't exactly healthy, but unhealthy things haven't stopped dwarves before. It would be similar to thermal-feature geysers in its steam source, except in places where there are not thermal features. As suggested, it would probably also be somewhat rare, only appearing when a large enough cluster of pitchblende intersects an aquifer.

LN

[ January 29, 2008: Message edited by: Lord Nightmare ]

"When life gives you zombies... *CHA-CHIK!* ...you make zombie-ade!"

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2008, 09:50:00 am »

Also: why is everyone so keen on zero-generation mutations?  What purpose does it serve?

Dwarfaholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://(none)
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2008, 10:15:00 am »

Pur-pose?

What is this strange word?

All I know of is "Fun" and "Ways to die".

Cosmonot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2008, 08:47:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Nightmare:
<STRONG>Cosmonot: Two. there was a smaller one somewhere in colorado. And there are probably more that haven't been found, under the ocean perhaps.

As for their purpose: they're an intermittent source of heat/steam, which may be pipable later (overland heating perhaps) along with water. The steam isn't exactly healthy, but unhealthy things haven't stopped dwarves before. It would be similar to thermal-feature geysers in its steam source, except in places where there are not thermal features. As suggested, it would probably also be somewhat rare, only appearing when a large enough cluster of pitchblende intersects an aquifer.

LN

[ January 29, 2008: Message edited by: Lord Nightmare ]</STRONG>

That's two, then. Since dwarves likely cannot build Fortresses in the middle of the ocean, I doubt anything hidden there counts. Magma and water still provide essentially the same utility without requiring adding the feature; in my opinion, if special, ultra-rare geographical features are implemented they should probably have more of an impact on your fortress.
Kobolds carry copper crossbows.

Tacroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2008, 05:38:00 am »

quote:
Magma and water still provide essentially the same utility without requiring adding the feature...

Well not really; at the moment, since magma plumes don't regenerate, you can't make steam in a renewable manner. It would be nice to have ancillary heat sources for messing around with in any case.

Besides, it doesn't have to be rare. Perhaps demon pits are surrounded by radioactive materials? That would explain why they're so cranky.

In any case, they're not called bloats for no reason.