Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: a simple way to make labor management easier  (Read 591 times)

Zack Weinberg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://zwol.livejournal.com/
a simple way to make labor management easier
« on: November 18, 2007, 05:16:00 pm »

Reading the long thread on labor management, it occurred to me that a lot of the pain involved is just in getting to the labor screen for each dwarf.  How's about this:

If you hit TAB while looking at the units list, you get a split-screen with the units list remaining on the left and the per-unit [v] menu on the right, showing whichever dwarf is selected in the units list.  The [v] menu is already all numpad, so the arrow keys can continue to scroll the units list.  If you go to the labor screen (or any other submenu of [v]) and then change dwarves, you get that same screen for the next dwarf.

That all by itself would be great, but for additional ease of use, change the labor screen to display skill levels next to each labor (the information currently under [v]-[g]).

[EDIT: Forgot to mention that I'm still playing the last pre-Z-axis release, 'cos I want to see my fortress there through to its inevitable doom before updating.  So if this is already the way it works in the new versions, never mind.]

[ November 18, 2007: Message edited by: Zack Weinberg ]

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: a simple way to make labor management easier
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 06:14:00 pm »

Way ahead of you (and though I didn't notice it at the time, others were way ahead of me  :D ), though I did forget that seeing their current skills would be useful too...
000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: a simple way to make labor management easier
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 05:16:00 am »

I like this idea, regardless of whether it's been suggested before or not.  :)
I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.