Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: horse vs. mule  (Read 637 times)

prklts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
horse vs. mule
« on: April 01, 2007, 02:14:00 pm »

I think in real life that mules are steadier on their feet, but they also are slower. For instance, you can get hire a mule ride down into the Grand Canyon. They would be better suited for caves really.

Right now there is only one thing to do with mules: yum-o!

Maybe in the future, if carts and what not get implemented, we could have them hooked up to horses on smooth stone floors for greater speed of hauling. Meanwhile, you could hook up mules to another cart which can traverse -anywhere- in the fortress since they're more sure-footed.

Tim

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
Re: horse vs. mule
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 03:01:00 pm »

Problem with mules: they are sterile due to their breeding.

"In its common modern meaning, a mule is the offspring of a male donkey and a female horse. The reverse, the offspring of a male horse and a female donkey, is called a hinny. The term "mule" (Latin mulus) was formerly applied to the offspring of any two creatures of different species – in modern usage, a "hybrid"." ~ Wikipedia

So you would have to have two sets of breeder stock, etc, and it would get pretty crowded.

prklts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 03:31:00 pm »

Wow! I didn't know that. Thanks for getting me up to speed!

Tim the clueless newbie

ktrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 03:57:00 pm »

I'd love to see donkeys implemented so that one could breed mules. In my experience mules are fairly tenacious fighters. Not as mean as cows or (dun dun duuun) Elephants, but they've saved many a miner of mine from those ambushing rat/bat/antmen.
trey cancels Play Dwarf Fortress: Interrupted by Message Board.