Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Letter from a concerned dwarf  (Read 921 times)

DanielLC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Letter from a concerned dwarf
« on: January 18, 2010, 01:31:53 am »

Dear Mayor Sethkìn,

After having a meal in a dining room like ours, it's easy to forget the troubles of the world, but we can't just forget. We need to stop them.

There has been a large number of accidents in our fortress. We need to improve safety.

Since we completed our modifications to the river, I've lost count of the number of merpeople that were trapped inside and airdrowned.

There are a pair of doors with a problematic set of locks. Dwarves have become trapped between them and starved to death. We've lost a soapmaker, two hammerdwarves, and that baron who loved glass so much.

Poor Dåbesh Kunaral lost all her cats to spike traps when they followed her to the test area.

I understand that trapping the wagon entrance was necessary to keep invaders out, but there have been a few cave-ins causing the traps to go off on accident. We've lost an elven caravan and a large number of immigrants this way.

Let us not forget that time Tob ZaneshtÉn was taken in a fey mood, and while he was waiting for the materials necessary for the artifact he was making, he was caught in a cave-in.

We need to fix the problems that caused these accidents, and prevent further problems from arising. To do so, I suggest forming an Occupational Safety and Health Administration, or OSHA for short.

Your constituent,
Unol Debbennizdast

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: Letter from a concerned dwarf
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 02:31:40 am »

All in favour? ...

Forget I said anything.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 04:59:17 am »

Whats the concern for? Aside from the artifact guy all those are good things  ;)

Thanshin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 09:07:16 am »

Dear Urist McKing,

I send you this report to liberate the lord baron of managerial tasks. The baron would like to send you his kind regards but he's occupied right now organizing the glass industry.

The requested delivery of merpeople skull totems will be promptly delivered next month.

I'm glad to inform that two hammerers are enough for our justice system to work properly. There's really no need to send a third.

The cat population is keeping on normal ranges and there's no reason to worry anymore.

We've not heard of any elven caravans, we suppose they didn't survive the many dangers on the path from their homeland.

There's been some demolitions and rebuilds of certain workshops to update them to current techniques and technologies.

All in all, the fort goes well but it's still on an early stage. I'll be glad to inform you when it reaches a point of development of sufficient quality as to allow the housing of more nobles, who we'll humbly welcome.

Yours humble servant,
Urist McMayor

DanielLC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 12:33:13 pm »

It's the player doing this, not the mayor, hence his name. As far as all the dwarves know, it's just a series accidents. Unfortunately for them, and luckily for the player, they're too preoccupied with the dining room to notice.

Whats the concern for? Aside from the artifact guy all those are good things  ;)

Including the artifact guy. If he didn't get the materials in time, he would have gone crazy. I was thinking of putting an actual accident in there, but I decided against it.