Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Controllable Item Slots  (Read 657 times)

Markavian

• Bay Watcher
  • DF Map Archive Admin
    • View Profile
    • DF Map Archive
Controllable Item Slots
« on: January 28, 2008, 08:52:00 am »

Controllable Item Slots for dwarves - the ability to assign specific weapons, armor, crafts, to a specific dwarf using something like the 'cage' interface, such that specific swords could be given to a dwarf instead of them finding their own in some unspecified way.

I did a search through the cores and bloats and found no suggestion. It is unclear which weapon or item of armor will be picked up by trainees, and it seems pointless that I can't tell recruits to use wooden swords to train with (the ones that I bought off the elves). I would also like to satisfy needs/wants such as 'likes obsidian and rings' by donating craft items to specific dwarves.

An additional option/switch would be required 'Pickup equipment automatically [Y/N]' to preserve the current action.

Benefits include: assigning red dye uniforms to all the recruits, and blue for the commanders; deliberately dressing the peasants in el-cheapo faded clothing, and giving the hammerer a wooden mallet in order to dish pain and justice out to the community.

Kyselina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Controllable Item Slots
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 08:54:00 am »

Yes if Toady can do it.
Tun Athelbuket, farmer cancels sleep: Caged.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 03:47:00 pm »

Seconded.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

gurra_geban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 06:13:00 pm »

gr8 ideas
een failing lately?

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 03:17:00 pm »

This, definitely this.

Now if only 'health care' was a trainable skill that sped up healing, and there was a way to make dwarves understand that barracks created with beds were for sleeping in and barracks made with weapon stands were for sparring, I think I would finally stop being so frustrated with the military in general...