Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Armor stands and Weapons racks (put to use)  (Read 1910 times)

eggsome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Armor stands and Weapons racks (put to use)
« on: January 24, 2010, 05:06:28 am »

As I understand it Armor and Weapons racks are mostly a superfluous addition at the moment.
I think it would be really useful if they had an option like (A)llocate weapons to this rack. It would then present a list of every weapon strewn throughout your fortress. You simply tag the ones you want sent to that rack.
THEN
You tell a military dwarf to switch to Axes.
If there is a Weapons rack within his defined Barracks area then he would attempt to equip from there before going to some random stockpile.
What do people think?

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: Armor stands and Weapons racks (put to use)
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 05:09:47 am »

As I understand it Armor and Weapons racks are mostly a superfluous addition at the moment.

They used to work, and were broken when Toady changed how the game handled certain items.  I think it's pretty safe to bet that they will 'work' again at some point, if they don't already.

jfs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 05:43:32 am »

From the dev log I understand that they do work, apparently with an added "again". At least there have been entries describing dwarves storing weapons and armor in racks and stands.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 07:49:20 am »

They're usable presently(40d) by civilians to store whiche'er items they like that work- like two-handed swords for the DM, like specific cabinets.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

eggsome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 02:09:04 am »

Hmmm, even if they do "work" now, isn't their purpose currently a bit of a double-up? You have the ability to define barracks with other objects.
What I'm suggesting here is complementary to their feature as a personal storage device. You get to choose items that are placed into them, in addition to a dwarfs personal collection.
Apart from custom stockpiles that will hopefully be considered "closer" to the Dwarf in question there is no real way to cherry pick items for Dwarfs...

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 02:12:45 am »

I can pretty much guarantee that Toady has mentioned weapon/armor racks being used by the military (and PROBABLY other dwarves) in the next version.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 02:38:20 am »

Indeed.
  • Weapon rack and armor stand assignments to individual soldiers within the barracks (automatic or manual if you care)
  • Soldiers that are standing down should sort out their equipment according to their assignments
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
Tilesets

PhilbertFlange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 12:34:27 pm »

I'd be for using weapon racks to make it easier to assign practice weapons and ammunition. Place the crappy wood and silver weapons in one area and the high quality ones in another, then simply assign a squad to spar in the practice zone, and equip real weapons from the other zone when going on duty. Similarly, you could place good ammo on the battlements, and crappy ammo near the archery range for faster practicing (no need to place tons of little specific stockpiles).
When life gives you lemons, you make lemonade.

When Dwarf Fortress gives you lemons, you mod them to have [DAMBLOCK:80][FLIER][FIREBREATH].

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 05:31:19 pm »

Orders for what counts as practice ammunition are also in next version, so...not needed.
Tilesets