Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Leg-less Marksdwarf Sharpshooters  (Read 810 times)

ravensword227

• Bay Watcher
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
Leg-less Marksdwarf Sharpshooters
« on: January 28, 2008, 03:48:00 am »

After playing Call of Duty 4, where you could pick up and strategically relocate sniper McMillian (after his leg wound), the idea came to me:  why should severely wounded legendary marksdwarves be bed-ridden?  

The skill is there for accuracy, provided they're not injured in the brain, why shouldn't they be able to provide some form of defense?

Would it be feasible to be able to have the dwarf carried out to the battle or behind a fort?

Dumed Zustashlorbam, Fisherdwarf cancels Fish: Interrupted by Skeletal hammerhead shark.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: Leg-less Marksdwarf Sharpshooters
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 03:50:00 am »

This would be some pretty complex AI stuff and require a lot of special case coding that goes over the way squads currently work at this time.

Toady could do it, I'm sure, but it'd be a lot of work for very little gain, I think.

ravensword227

• Bay Watcher
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 03:58:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Capntastic:
<STRONG>This would be some pretty complex AI stuff and require a lot of special case coding</STRONG>

I considered this.  I don't suppose a solution treating the dwarf as a piece of furniture would be feasible?

As a compromise, it would be nice to at least have the dwarf keep his weapon by the bedside in case the shit hit the fan.    :D

EDIT:  Now that I think about it, a tantruming legendary marksdwarf with a
crossbow might not be the best idea, but, anyway - losing is fun!

[ January 28, 2008: Message edited by: ravensword227 ]

Dumed Zustashlorbam, Fisherdwarf cancels Fish: Interrupted by Skeletal hammerhead shark.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 04:19:00 am »

There was another thread in the bug forum about dwarves keeping their stuff (a pick, in this case) and how it was annoying.

Toady can't please everyone all of the time, it seems   :p

Neskiairti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Trust me, dont look.
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 11:05:00 am »

well the entire medical AI needs a revamp anyhow :P
there should really be something simple.. if a leg is wounded it checks if he can still fight and survive.. if yes, he does so.. if no.. he tries to flee.. and so forth.. if he cant flee.. he puts up as best a fight as he can..

in reality.. there are three types here.. the kinds who get wounded beyond beleif but still keep going by sheer will.. and the type who stub a toe and call in sick.. then lastly the kind who can make a careful judgement of their damage. the first type might suicide alot.. but they would certainly do alot of damage to the enemy.. the second type shouldnt be anywhere near the army :P the third type would be the best.. and could be used effectively in the maner you speak.. sure they lost two legs.. but their arms work.. prop them up by the window and they can snipe quite easily..

so back to that check.. it tests their type if(berzerker == TRUE) doesnt matter how much damage they take.. they fight to the death.. the second.. they get a grey wound they run screaming.. the third would take more judgement calls.. with certain body parts being more important than others and its applied against their weapon. like one weapon might require two arms.. one might require two eyes.. one might require both legs.. so if one of those gets mangled.. or what not.. they have to flee.. if they are bleeding out badly and are likely to die if they continue.. they take off..

The New Moo!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 12:31:00 pm »

They would have some serious problems reloading the crossbow without legs...  Well, unless they've got twenty ranks in strength and 15-some in marksmanship...
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 01:17:00 pm »

maybe they have spare crossbows propped up against the bed
My dwarves are not your dwarves.

Lord Nightmare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 01:55:00 pm »

exactly: even if they're bedridden, build the bed next to the arrow slit, and have them shoot from the bed.

LN

"When life gives you zombies... *CHA-CHIK!* ...you make zombie-ade!"