Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Flatten-map  (Read 753 times)

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Flatten-map
« on: January 18, 2010, 09:34:33 pm »

Problem:
Currently, I find making a fortress on a sloped mountain impossible due to the amount of ridges.
Each ridge about 1 tile wide, and I cannot see anything important even while over the correct area.
A little searching one time isn't a problem, but when I have to hop around looking for veins of ore on a hillside, I find it easy to become overwhelmed.

Suggestion:
I suggest a "flatten map" option, showing tiles below regardless of depth.(no sky tiles, instead, the ground tile below them)
Say you look at the very tip top of a mountain,
your entire view would be filled with the ground tiles around the mountain.
Even down below the hfs, if you happen to have dug an empty shaft to the bottom

This way, A few items may become problematic to find, but many many hillsides can now be scoured properly.

Edit- in retrospect, this suggestion is a less detailed version of:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=43510.0
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 02:51:25 am by eerr »

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Flatten-map
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 09:44:16 pm »

So, you're saying you want a birds-eye view option?  As long as it's an option and not a requirement, then sure...it shouldn't be that bad to look at.  Seems that coding it might be tricky, since z-levels are probably technically their own separate flat map that the engine has to sort out at runtime.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 11:26:40 pm »

Same as this suggestion, I think.  It's also on Eternal Suggestion Voting as "Depth by darkening / misting / blurring," and someone also made a video of what it'd look like.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 12:15:33 am »

Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!