Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [a]ssigning equipment  (Read 865 times)

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
[a]ssigning equipment
« on: May 15, 2008, 06:23:00 am »

Currently, it seems that when a piece of equipment becomes available (armor, weapon, bolts), the first available dwarf that is allowed to equip it will run over and grab it. This works well enough if you just churned out a batch of mundane iron chain and just want all the recruits to throw it on and get back to wrestling, but perhaps I'd prefer that the masterpiece plate mail is given to my most senior soldier rather than whoever happens to decide to come pick it up. The strongest, most well-crafted armors are not terribly common and so it would be appreciated if there was a way to ensure it was protecting the investment in the best-trained dwarves in an easier way than there is currently.

It seems like it would make sense for items of armor or weapons to have the [a]ssign option on them just like rooms do. Then you could designate a dwarf to own that equipment, who would then be the only one allowed to pick it up and equip it, if they had the equipment's type enabled in the [w]eapons submenu. This would guarantee that your legendary hammerdwarf gets the mastercraft adamantium platemail menacing with spikes of carp bone and studded with platinum... and not the inept newly-recruited wrestler who's just recovered from the injury he got when he managed to put himself in a choke-hold last month. (I don't let them have armor in the [m]ilitary [w]eapons submenu until they're more trained, yes, that option gives some tiny fraction of what I'm looking for, but still doesn't really let you have preference between the regulars or elites, unless you only let the elites have plate, for example, and it's perfectly affordable to just, for example, deck all of the brawlers in iron except the really valuable and skilled ones, who get steel or better).

The process of making which pieces of armor and from what material is thoroughly customizable, and yet the determination of who gets to wear it is essentially "whoever can wear it and grabs it first". It would be nice to customize who gets the copper helm and who gets the Übertanium (okay I'm getting sarcastic here, but you get the point).

A more bloaty alternate route would be an option to specify the allowed material and/or quality level of armor/weapon, much as you'd do for storing things in stockpiles... though I think being able to [a]ssign is a more streamlined interface option and would likely be more approachable to players.

Goblin Dragoon 085

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [a]ssigning equipment
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 09:12:00 am »

Dwarven self-managment?
Military screen: Big, shiny,red reequip button. The game counts the number of available equipment, looks up what armor/weapon/shield preference every dwarf has and then assigns equipment, according to skill level of the dwarves. So, the legendary axedwarf would end up with your one adamantine axe and the rest gets iron axes etc.

In game, this would look something like this: Push the button: Dwarves store their old eqipment in armor stands and weapon racks (yeah, finally a reason for their existence) and then pickup the newly assigned one.

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 01:02:00 am »

Oh. God. Yes.

This is a perfect way to get dwarves to spar with silver/wooden weapons instead of steel, and fight with steel instead of silver/wooden weapons.

I can think of a half-dozen useful implementations of this. It needs to be put in!

When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 01:19:00 am »

The "assign" interface need not stop there! Why not, if we want to, have the ability to choose which object is going to be worked on? We could choose anything from a specific piece of granite for our next door (pointless, but we could still do it) to choosing the masterwork furniture for decorating with gems, instead of the "closest" furniture (very useful).

I also want the ability to assign workshops to specific tasks. When put a task in the Job Manager, I sometimes don't want all my shops to clog themselves with it. Maybe just ONE of my craftsdwarves workshops could produce the batch of 30 bone bolts, instead of dividing it up into 3 workshops when I only have one bonecrafter?

Sevrun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 10:07:00 pm »

For assigning the individual workshops specific task trees I guess you would call them...  Add that to the building (P)rofile.  So I can finally have an Armorer's Forge for all my armor to be done at without clogging my Metalcrafter or Weaponsmith's forges.  or the crafts workshop example given by Name Lips.
Demon of Darkness

Lyrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 12:51:00 am »

At the very least, they should choose equipment based on effectiveness every time, to make them more predictable and make equipment management easier.

But if we could actually assign equipment I would like that very much.

Witty

Comedian
Dabbling Pacifier
Dabbling Judge of Intent
Skilled Forum Poster