Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "Ignore Creature" Designation  (Read 791 times)

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"Ignore Creature" Designation
« on: November 17, 2007, 09:33:00 pm »

We desperately need an "ignore creature" designation in the same vein as "forbid item."  Few things in the new version infuriate me more than a hostile creature (most recently a skeletal fox) up on a hill preventing my dwarves from doing anything yet unable to reach me (and me it).  It just sits up there terrifying my dwarves into dehydration and starvation.  I can't reach it because the entirety of my building materials are stowed beneath it and thus in its zone of terror.

It's really irritating to have to close the game, add [BOILING_POINT:0] to a creature, open the game so the offending creature dies, close the game again, undo the change to the raws, then reopen the game.  I'd much rather be able to flag individual creatures to be ignored (unintended consequence:  something can potentially gnaw my dwarves' legs off without causing panic, but it'd be my fault for not unflagging that creature).

Core Xii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "Ignore Creature" Designation
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 04:29:00 am »

No.

That's a lousy workaround, why not just fix the problem itself?

Reality is for people who lack imagination

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 02:19:00 pm »

What "problem itself?"  The fact that I literally can't do anything because the entirety of my resources (and means to acquire other resources) is blocked by an unreachable creature that cannot possibly reach me either?  If I can't explicitly tell my dwarves to ignore it, my alternatives are to abandon the fort (fucking retarded) or hack the raws to eliminate the nuisance.

On a lighter note, I currently have three caravan guards locked in an epic staring contest with a couple zombie wild boars on a cliff.

[ November 18, 2007: Message edited by: Earthquake Damage ]

Mover#005

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 03:25:00 pm »

There is always a way to reach them. Your people are dwarfs, so start digging already.  ;) and as I heard, Crossbows are working now over different z-levels.

But yeah, its kind of annoying, but not the game-breaking kind. Crazy Visitors or the virtual unusable Crossbowmen are way more terrible.

And this workaround would be kind of terrible, really. With some simple pathing, it should be possible to determine which creatures are really dangerous for a dwarf and which are not.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 05:31:00 pm »

Oh.  Didn't realize he fixed the ranged weapon Z issue.  That helps quite a bit, actually.