Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tame questions  (Read 810 times)

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tame questions
« on: February 07, 2010, 07:17:58 am »

So, if I add the [PET] and [trAINABLE] tags to, say, a unicorn, it means I can have a pet unicorn, I can butcher a unicorn that isn't a pet, and I can train the unicorn into a War Unicorn. I've done this before. This is my knowledge of the pet system.

Two questions.

1. What if I add those tags to, say, a lizardman? Or a goblin? Can I assign bands of war goblins to my champions? What about war fire imps?

2. Is there an easy way to add tags to every animal? I'd really like to have war hippos and war elephants and war wagons and all, but with hundreds of animals ingame that'd be pretty time consuming.
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tame questions
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 01:14:18 pm »

Two questions.

1. What if I add those tags to, say, a lizardman? Or a goblin? Can I assign bands of war goblins to my champions? What about war fire imps?

Not sure about war goblins, but at one point I accidentally allowed a modded race I was making (the project has since been abandoned) to embark with pet gremlins, which are intelligent creatures. They could be adopted by my redcaps, and IIRC they could indeed be butchered, so I would guess that intelligent creatures as pets work just like other creatures, just capable of learning skills and carrying default equipment (the pet gremlins started with no-label Ambusher and a full set of hunter equipment!).

War fire imps should be comically dangerous since they'll probably still fireball, even if your champions are in melee with the fireball target, but otherwise should work fine.

2. Is there an easy way to add tags to every animal? I'd really like to have war hippos and war elephants and war wagons and all, but with hundreds of animals ingame that'd be pretty time consuming.
Hmm... Use Notepad's replace feature to replace [STANDARD_FLESH] with [STANDARD_FLESH][whateverothertagsyouwant]? You'd have to do it for each creature file, but I don't believe there's any creature without [STANDARD_FLESH] in vanilla, so you should just be able to mass-replace to mass add tags.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

deoxy

• Bay Watcher
  • Insert witty comment here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 06:06:30 pm »

Oddly, I just bought a couple of Gremlins from a caravan recently - and they died of thrist before I got around to doing anything with them.  It was really weird, and I didn't think eating/drinking affected tame creatures (and they were marked tame).

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 06:07:17 pm »

Tame creatures which can speak require water.

deoxy

• Bay Watcher
  • Insert witty comment here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 09:35:50 am »

Aha!  I'll keep that in mind.  Thanks for the info.