Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Golems  (Read 1200 times)

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Golems
« on: January 14, 2010, 06:05:20 pm »

So say I wanted to mod in a way for dwarves to create golems. How do I go about this?

The idea I have is for them to be buildable like a workshop or a bridge (though being created at a workshop is fine too) and require something like a dwarf skull and three bars of metal (mostly to keep the numbers down) and several mechanisms. Probably they should need architecture, metalcrafting, and mechanics to be built.

Once completed they should be capable of basic tasks (hauling, healthcare, building walls and floors, placing furniture, and harvesting plants, namely. More complicated things like building bridges or workshops should be out) but not able to do anything at a workshop. They also shouldnt count as actual dwarves, so if you have a thousand golems wandering around but only one dwarf left, and the last dwarf dies, the game ends.

Golems also shouldn't be able to gain experience in anything.

I've considered the idea that dwarves should get a negative thought from seeing a golem who has the skull of a dead friend/spouse/whatever, but I don't think they should. Why? Well, what's more dwarvenly than being MADE of stone and metal, AND being able to work without having to stop to sleep?

So is it possible to do this, or not?

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Golems
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 06:10:17 pm »

Not possible at the current time.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 08:05:08 pm »

Luckily something along these lines should end up in the game.

Bloat224, STATUE IMPROVEMENTS, (Future): Describe statues, analagous to figurines, could have arms that can be moved and hidden levers and buttons and so on, could be linked to creature defs and be animated or come alive

Bloat42, AUTOMATONS, (Future): Automatons could be created, but it's campy to overdo it, at least in the standard world model. An artifact creating dwarf could make special automatons.
From the Consolidated Development Page
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 09:38:28 pm »

In the CivForge mod, there are "pet" creatures that are golem-like; slow learners, made from stone, that dwarves can have. They can't make them, however; they can be bought at embark or from caravans, and immigrants will sometimes have them as pets, but otherwise they are impossible to acquire.

...Actually... I wonder if darius's Spellcraft mod couldn't work to do something like making golems. That is, you'd make a custom creature that spawns nowhere, make a custom reaction to create one of that creature's corpse appear in your smelter, then have a rune-encrusted statue of Periodic Revive Conversion statue next to the smelter. Run the reaction, make the golem's "body," then the runes on the statue bring it to life and make it tame.

2 problems I foresee: first, I'm not sure if it's even possible to make a working corpse in a smelter, and second, I'm not sure if Spellcraft can revive a creature that was never, in fact, alive, or even if the game can manage a "new" creature in a fashion like that one that Toady never intended. There are probably more problems in this, but those are the obvious and immediate ones.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 10:48:18 pm »

Luckily something along these lines should end up in the game.

Bloat224, STATUE IMPROVEMENTS, (Future): Describe statues, analagous to figurines, could have arms that can be moved and hidden levers and buttons and so on, could be linked to creature defs and be animated or come alive

Bloat42, AUTOMATONS, (Future): Automatons could be created, but it's campy to overdo it, at least in the standard world model. An artifact creating dwarf could make special automatons.
From the Consolidated Development Page

Well, get ready to beg.  I can't forsee Toady deciding to do those two bloats within the next five years or so unless we beg him to.

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 10:54:13 pm »

I was wondering, is there a way to make a civ animal traders without having other items of trade? while those creatures also dont turn up in the wild. that way you could make a civ that built golems and took them with them in war, without the side effect of automatons and golems wondering all over the world.