Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: mud woes  (Read 1125 times)

prklts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
mud woes
« on: March 31, 2007, 12:05:00 pm »

As I'm carving my fortress out of the mountain, as a clueless newbie mind you, I have found myself having a lot of problems with mud. Basically, the worst problem is that there is no good way to get rid of it.

I could understand it if there just were nothing there (like a bottomless pit of mud or something), and it would be different if it occured along a river. However, this is occuring in my fortress, in a spot where there used to be a rough stone floor. It only turned to mud after a seasonal flood, when some shrub took root in the muddy stone floor and then died.

There is a workaround by building a bridge over it, but that seems a bit silly to me. Also, it can be prevented if you have your people VERY QUICKLY smooth the stone floors of your road on either side of the river for 20-30 spaces or so. Unfortunately that can take a bit of luck.

I'm not sure what would be best to fix it. I could probably live without perma-mud floors. Just take it for what it's worth.

Thanks!

Tim

ktrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: mud woes
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2007, 01:50:00 pm »

It may be possible to get rid of mud with controlled cave-ins, but I've yet to try this as all my mud-tiles show up in main entryways and passages.

It seems like a bit of a crapshoot anyway.

trey cancels Play Dwarf Fortress: Interrupted by Message Board.

Xeirxes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2007, 07:04:00 pm »

I second this. Why is mud so... permanent? I mean, once you get it, you've gotta either bridge it, or you won't be able to use the passage for the human trade caravan. Kinda sucks.

Black Hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2007, 09:25:00 pm »

Now you know how the Elbonians feel...