Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: units should move / haul faster on smooth stone  (Read 928 times)

prklts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
units should move / haul faster on smooth stone
« on: March 30, 2007, 11:31:00 pm »

Maybe units should move and haul faster on smooth stone. That's all I've got for now!

Tim

Xeirxes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: units should move / haul faster on smooth stone
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2007, 02:12:00 am »

I agree, it would give another reason to smooth stone.

The corollary to this, I'd imagine, is that mud slows you down.

Chthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2007, 02:18:00 am »

Actually, in reality it'd be harder to get traction on a smooth stone surface.  Your feet would slide, especially when pulling a heavy load.  A rough stone floor isn't that rough anyways that it'd impede motion.

For the game, I'd agree with you though.

''d be perfect if I weren''t so arrogant.

Fenek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2007, 04:21:00 am »

I think "smoothed" floors are not "polished" ones.

I imagine "rough" floors like a irregular surface with all kinds of rocks sticking out of it and/or one that have cracks and holes in it.

schnobs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2007, 06:17:00 am »

Well, as long as they're walking... the floor probably isn't that rough, after all.

However, I'd like to repeat the suggestion of *simple* carts. These are nothing like the more advanced blobs (where a cart would enable a dwarf to move several items at once). No changes to the actual hauling code, it's still carrying only one item at a time.

But a dwarf heaving a cart would never be encumbered, regardless how heavy the load. As if the cart conveys a "legendary armor user" skill.

Entropy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2007, 03:53:00 pm »

that would not be a cart - that would be a wheelbarrow.  

When the hauler profession kicks in, it could be considered a piece of job specific equipment...

schnobs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2007, 07:08:00 am »

Only that I dislike the term "wheelbarrow". For one thing, it sounds too much like gardening. There are alternatives, though. I don't know what it's called, but here's a picture.

Another reason to avoid the term wheelbarrow is that it ineveitably reminds of the wheelbarrow blob, which goes a lot further than the above suggestion.

Some sort of profession to trigger whether the dwarf picks up the cart will be needed, though. This could of course be named "hauling"; and if the wheelbarrow blob is to be implemented someday, it could well be tied to that labor and equipment.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2007, 09:11:00 am »

That’s a bollarwagon (Something like that.). It’s what you would call in English a handcart. It was used in Germany (And some surrounding regions.), honestly it’s really just a wheelbarrow that will roll off the top of a hill and have to pull instead of push. Besides in med evil times wheelbarrows were used to lug rocks, hay, food, and sometimes dirt. I think this would be ideal for dwarves because a wheelbarrow is exactly what you would use to lug around rocks from mining.

Chthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2007, 10:27:00 am »

Well, since we are off topic anyways.  There should be 2 classes of carts.  Each dwarf should come with a toggle, to tell them to use hands/handcart/horsecart when hauling.

Edit:  Horse carts are already in the game.  They should be used only for large jobs, and require 3 wide smooth surfaces, else you risk injuring the horses.

[ April 01, 2007: Message edited by: Chthon ]

''d be perfect if I weren''t so arrogant.

4bh0r53n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phpbber.com/phpbb/index.php?c=1&mforum=abhorsengames
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2007, 04:51:00 pm »

implement pony/ mule drawn minecarts

needs iron trackst to be laid from point A to point B but then all it requires is three dwarves, one to lead the pony/mule, then one at each end to load/unload, this would probably work well with the 'burrows' system i heard about.

.B.H.O.R.S.E.N.: Abhorrent, Bloodthirsty, Hitchhiker-Obliterating Ravager from the Sunless Enchanted Necropolis

I dont explode Cats, its way to hard to coax them into the microwave...

4bh0r53n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phpbber.com/phpbb/index.php?c=1&mforum=abhorsengames
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2007, 04:55:00 pm »

sorry, double post

[ April 01, 2007: Message edited by: 4bh0r53n ]

.B.H.O.R.S.E.N.: Abhorrent, Bloodthirsty, Hitchhiker-Obliterating Ravager from the Sunless Enchanted Necropolis

I dont explode Cats, its way to hard to coax them into the microwave...