Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Name: Lever  (Read 1279 times)

Sithlordz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Name: Lever
« on: February 10, 2010, 07:59:17 am »

I think naming levers would be incredibly useful.  You could give the name 'magma flood', for a Boatmurdered style world-burning device.  Perhaps a keyword detector, if it picks up the words flood, magma, kill, open or whatever, you could get a confirmation screen if you order it to be pulled.  Because killing the entire universe accidentally would suck.
You are sentenced to 2477 consecutive life terms.  Have a nice day.

blur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Name: Lever
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 09:03:56 am »

It's possible to place notes at the lever's position. There you can enter a text of up to 100 letters. A keyword detector is probably useful in very large fortresses. If the lever is near the triggered object or in a command center, it is easy to find it without detector, and you could also find levers using the rooms and buildings screen.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 09:39:42 am »

I think naming levers would be incredibly useful.  You could give the name 'magma flood', for a Boatmurdered style world-burning device.  Perhaps a keyword detector, if it picks up the words flood, magma, kill, open or whatever, you could get a confirmation screen if you order it to be pulled.  Because killing the entire universe accidentally would be awesome.

fixed.

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 05:21:44 pm »

It's possible to place notes at the lever's position. There you can enter a text of up to 100 letters. A keyword detector is probably useful in very large fortresses. If the lever is near the triggered object or in a command center, it is easy to find it without detector, and you could also find levers using the rooms and buildings screen.
Actually, a nice thing may-be an interface screen that list the Notes you currently have in the fortress.
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

Randall Octagonapus

• Bay Watcher
  • We gota get some medicine for the computer machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 06:31:10 pm »

It would be nice if you could set a warning to pop up whenever your about to pull it
would you like a slice of one humped camel cheese or two humped camel cheese on that elf burger?

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 07:57:22 pm »

the think about notes is you have to switch to notes view and then rember where the note was when you switch to lever pulling view
The great game of Warlocks!

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 03:03:26 am »

what about an option to view what's connected to the lever?

you can sorta do it now by attempting to attach each thing in the fort to the lever and seeing what doesn't show up on the list, but that's the bugger of all workarounds.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 03:38:41 am »

Isn't levers displaying what they're linked something that is already planned? Or is that still floating around as a suggestion?

Then you don't even need to place a note.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 08:59:42 am »

A very good idea. Sure, you can (should!) use notes, but it'd streamline things if you could just name the levers themselves.

Also, unless it's too much hassle programming-wise, it'd be nice if you could attach a string to the lever's Pull a Lever job. So instead of "P: Pull the Lever" (or w/e) it'd say "P: Open/Close Magma Floodgates".
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

DDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Frogatto
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 07:38:19 pm »

Odd; until I read this thread, it never occurred to me to put the notes ON the lever. I always had them off to the side. :-\
Il Palazzo: "Urist, quick, grab your ax! There's a troll rampaging through the decimal conversion chambers!"
melomel: DF is like OCD candy, isn't it? existent: No, DF is like the stranger in the trench coat offering the candy.

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2010, 11:12:11 pm »

If I remember right, the next update is supposed to integrate Notes with the game itself to an extent, for designations of some sort... I don't remember the details.

Either way, it probably wouldn't be too difficult to extend that to, say, having a string somewhere on the lever reflecting the text on the note attached to it.

Kilo24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2010, 11:35:15 pm »

There is absolutely nothing wrong with this suggestion, and its immediate implementation would be met with great fanfare by all but the sadistic players of community forts.

That's not too useful unless you can name the items too.  It begs the question which *granite door* is connected to which lever; better than the current system but still not as good.  Having *both* these ideas added would be excellent.

If I remember right, the next update is supposed to integrate Notes with the game itself to an extent, for designations of some sort... I don't remember the details.

Either way, it probably wouldn't be too difficult to extend that to, say, having a string somewhere on the lever reflecting the text on the note attached to it.
Huh.  I don't remember being happy over that excellent addition; the only thing The List includes is using them to make up stations and patrol routes for dwarves.  I've checked on dev_single, didn't see anything.  Is there something I've missed that Footkerchief will magically cause Toady to say 3 months ago so he can pull up the post?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 11:40:40 pm by Kilo24 »

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2010, 04:13:04 am »

That's not too useful unless you can name the items too.  It begs the question which *granite door* is connected to which lever; better than the current system but still not as good.  Having *both* these ideas added would be excellent.
Being able to name every item, from beds to trade depots to doors to chests and maybe even smaller things like swords and buckets, would solve this nicely.
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2010, 06:55:59 am »

I was thinking it would zoom to the selected item, much like it does when you are linking it up.