Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: So uhm. Orcs. A little help. :o  (Read 3840 times)

hexedmagica

• Bay Watcher
  • This headless lover of three
    • View Profile
Re: So uhm. Orcs. A little help. :o
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2010, 07:02:37 pm »

I use Orc mod orcs with trapavoid taken out, as it doesn't make sense for them to be walking straight over traps, as orcs are usually brutes in fiction. :D Equals a massive arena stock whenever I dig the thing out.
They started to collide~

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2010, 07:28:59 pm »

I rather wish DD orcs were better thought out. When a player is railroaded into a scenario of "engineer a trap that will kill them all perfectly or die" in the first couple of years, because there is no fscking way you can have a military geared to hold them off that quickly while maintaining your fortress, it makes it kinda not fun.

Is there some way to make it so they don't siege for the first few years?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2010, 09:15:25 pm »

Swap their progress triggers with the goblins.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2010, 11:24:52 pm »

Or just increase the triggers for one or both entities. I think I read they range from 1 to 5, with 5 being "later," but I don't know any more specifics than that. Presumably they map to some defined values for population and wealth and such, so it should be possible to tune the gobs and orcs so they don't attack until you're worth their while. Or something.

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2010, 04:25:46 am »

The first time my fort got sieged by orcs, I simply raised the drawbridge and got my hunter/marksdwarf to pelt them with bolts through the fortifications until they routed. If you can't fight orcs with your military, sealing the fortress and waiting for the siege to end never fails.
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

pluckcitizen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2010, 09:33:36 am »

If you can't fight orcs with your military, sealing the fortress and waiting for the siege to end never fails.

It does fail I think. If you don't kill the orcs, their population will remain full and they will attack next season (with probably more squads).

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2010, 10:26:12 am »

Invest embark points into military training. Bring along proficient artisans and materials to create high-quality shields/armor/weapons. Also, train war dogs. This should help you survive long enough to get migrants.

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2010, 03:14:39 pm »

Yep, while it's nice to have a skilled mason or mechanic to increase fort value and accelerate the construction of your dormitories, bringing along the people and materials to tech rush to three competent marksdwarves in the first month or so will serve you far better in dangerous terrain.
I brake for stumble bumblings

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2010, 09:40:48 pm »

I rather wish DD orcs were better thought out. When a player is railroaded into a scenario of "engineer a trap that will kill them all perfectly or die" in the first couple of years, because there is no fscking way you can have a military geared to hold them off that quickly while maintaining your fortress, it makes it kinda not fun.

Is there some way to make it so they don't siege for the first few years?

Dig Deeper orcs were thought out well. It's not a "happy ponies" mod, Rhonin often considered giving the buildingdestroyer tags so atom smashers and drawbridges wouldn't be so effective. If you want an easier military challenge, try Relentless Assault. It's... well, after Dig Deeper I thought it was boring, but it's a good military training mod.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2010, 11:43:49 pm »

If you can't fight orcs with your military, sealing the fortress and waiting for the siege to end never fails.

It does fail I think. If you don't kill the orcs, their population will remain full and they will attack next season (with probably more squads).

Actually, that's not really true. The soldiers generated to siege your fortress don't come from the enemy population, and killing them has no effect on the level of sieges. The sieges simply progress in difficulty as time goes on.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2010, 12:00:43 am »

I survive like this...

Every starting dwarf is a Marksman, I bring enough food and water to survive it long enough for one wave of immigrants.
I Bring as much ammo as i possibly can, and just wait, wait.
When they come, i point them all in a line from the direction they are coming from, so that way every dwarf can fire at one orc at the same time.
i place the arrow stockpile,food stockpile all behind them so they dont have to go far, even though it is a little risky, you gotta do what you gotta do.
once they are all down, I loot there bodys for goods and armour and arrows and such and wait for the immigrants to come...
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

freeze

• Bay Watcher
  • nominal
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2010, 02:16:03 am »

I like to think I'm pretty hardcore but going no-turtle in DD is still a very difficult/risky proposition for me despite much practice. 

Surviving the first siege is the hard part, and stock DD will siege the first winter if you got autumn immigrants.. if you embarked with 7 1pt ambushers you should be able to meet it with 4-5 legendary wrestlers plus at least 7 crossbow recruits with steel bolts.

While you learn early military strats, try walling in to the point where there's still access to your fort but it's only one tile wide.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 02:20:42 am by freeze »

Khamero

• Bay Watcher
  • Bronzebeard - Master of arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2010, 02:33:17 am »

Have two entrances, both with double drawbridges and have a table in the middle of the second one, beween the drawbridges.

As soon as migrants arrive, set that table as a dining hall/meeting hall. As soon as all migrants are clustered around the table, you close the outer drawbridge and open the inner, effectively letting the migrants in safely.

If orcs arrive, lure them towards your main entrance, prefferably letting them take a hideously long sideroute so that the migrants have time to get to the table. (the sideroute can just be made by making channels in the ground. Combine these with fortifications and marksdwarves and you have -plenty- of time to make -turtle bone bolt- pincusions out of them! make the walkways loooong and straight, so that the marksdwarves are firering into a row of em. Miss the first, hit the next and so on!)
You might think that this is some sort of trap. That I’m using you as bait to lure in your friends. I’m not. I just enjoy torturing innocent, young girls.

I know it’s sick. But everyone needs a hobby.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]