Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: war mode  (Read 829 times)

xdarkcodex

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch in awe!
    • View Profile
war mode
« on: January 13, 2010, 09:39:03 pm »

soory if this has been said before but
In addition to fortress mode and adventure mode how about a war mode?
This is how it could work. You choose an existing fortress that you had abandoned and you start with 100 or so military dwarfs but you choose what type they are before you play. You then appear on the embark site with your dwarfs and you have half a season or so to get ready then you will be siege by all hostile races that can reach your fortress with  a squad or so but they will keep spawning more and more squads faster and faster the longer you survive.Every season nearby dwarf fortress or humans may send in reinforcements which moves by them selves and help you.
What do you think?
the statement below is true
the statement above is false

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: war mode
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 10:41:25 pm »

I do not think that causing wars to randomly happen with arcade-styled 'waves' of enemies that respawn faster and faster integrates with the semi-coherent world that DF strives for.

xdarkcodex

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch in awe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 12:16:47 am »

I do not think that causing wars to randomly happen with arcade-styled 'waves' of enemies that respawn faster and faster integrates with the semi-coherent world that DF strives for.
true...still be fun but lol.
the statement below is true
the statement above is false

Malrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 12:19:12 am »

I think there's a mod that comes somewhat close to what you describe. It increases attacks from other races, causing you to focus more on the military/fighting aspect.

What I'd rather see is local civilizations having functioning politics, and they will declare war on each other every now and then. You will be notified by a messenger if they come soon enough, otherwise you will be attacked by the enemy civ (if your civ is at war) or your fortress could be occupied by military forces from your civ or another civ at war.

You'd be given the choice to accommodate these foreign soldiers or refuse them, but refusing them would have it's consequences.

Foehamster

• Bay Watcher
  • Zig Frostrushes The Speachless Eater of Saints
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 12:33:06 am »

Use Dig Deeper Mod
Fast-build basic fortress
Abandon
Reclaim to get lots of military dwarves
Orcs will come soon.