Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trace elements and ore blocks  (Read 973 times)

deoxy

• Bay Watcher
  • Insert witty comment here.
    • View Profile
Trace elements and ore blocks
« on: January 26, 2010, 12:21:38 am »

OK, I want to add smelter reactions for all the ore-bearing stone types, in part to get rid of them, and in part to provide a little more ore on some maps.  I went through all the stones and created reactions for each one that has an ore as either a large cluster or a vein, with a 1% chance of a bar for veins and a 3% chance for large clusters (then I rounded for silver, as a 1% chance for galena is a .5% chance for silver, etc).  That left some stones with as high as 5% chance for iron (1% for limonite, 1% for hematite, 3% for magnatite), which seems a bit high...

So, at this point (since you can't have a %chance for a partial bar like melting, unfortunately), I probably need to increase the number of stones required...  What is a reasonable number?  I mean, 5% iron is probably not all that far off, but most of that would actually be in mine-able ore, I would think, so perhaps as many as 5 per each reaction?

Anyway, I'm open to suggestion.

Also, I'm making reactions to smelt ore blocks (often available from caravans).  Blocks seem to weigh 80% of stones, but then, so do most pieces of furniture, and I don't want to mess with that... perhaps 50% chance of the normal stone?  A Galena block, for instance, would have a 50% chance of lead and a 25% chance of silver.  Anybody have any thoughts on if that should be higher or lower?

Eagle0600

• Bay Watcher
  • Highly Confused
    • View Profile
Re: Trace elements and ore blocks
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 07:21:22 am »

Iron is meant to be common.

Also, is this set up so that the stones are all ores or so they're reagents? There's two important differences:
 - Adding the [METAL_ORE:X:N] tag to a stone will mean that the reaction is for one stone, with no adding of more reagents; adding the stone as a reagent in a reaction will make the number changeable and more reagents can be added.
 - Metal ores use actual chance, but the percentage in the reactions is more like a ratio than a chance.

Anyway, if you're doing this to increase the amount of metals in the game, a 5% for iron isn't that unreasonable. On the severe end, 5 stones to a reaction (provided you ARE using reaction) is enough. Then again, this is all up to you.
GENERATION 21:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

deoxy

• Bay Watcher
  • Insert witty comment here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 10:05:36 am »

DEFINITELY reaction, not ore.  I considered removing all the ore tags entirely and just using custom reactions, actually, but I decided it was too much work.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 10:54:52 am »

Smelter reactions are percent chance and not percent completion.  We have it from the horse's mouth, so to speak.   :D

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The Impaler's Metals mod has the vanilla ores converted into smelter reactions, with the addition of slags as by-products.  The slags can be further converted into mixtures of metals which depend on which of the three slags you are recycling.  If you combine this with the Molten Rocks mod you do have to remove the ore statements from the minerals file yourself, but it seemed worth it to me.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.