Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Smoothing a Mountain  (Read 1249 times)

Nobbins

• Bay Watcher
  • Dustland
    • View Profile
Smoothing a Mountain
« on: January 10, 2010, 08:58:34 pm »

So I embarked on a chert mountain, and while starting a tower, I realised I could just smooth the base instead of building a floor. This got me thinking. Do you think it's possible to smooth an entire mountain peak? (Let's say 4x4 local map tiles)
Nobbins's Tileset Shoppe
It would mean that once a year, all of your female cats suddenly explode if there are any male cats around.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
Re: Smoothing a Mountain
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 09:00:40 pm »

Well, you can't smooth ramps, but I think you can smooth the walls behind ramps. So I suppose yeah, you could. And engrave them, too!

Nobbins

• Bay Watcher
  • Dustland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 09:02:53 pm »

That would be awesome. It would blow your architectural wealth up by a factor of about a million, too. Plus there's lots of room for history. =D
Nobbins's Tileset Shoppe
It would mean that once a year, all of your female cats suddenly explode if there are any male cats around.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 09:29:33 pm »

Imagine the ability to engrave your entire mountain of dwarves striking down elves. It's like a dream that just came true.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Nobbins

• Bay Watcher
  • Dustland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 09:32:51 pm »

Imagine the ability to engrave your entire mountain of dwarves striking down elves. It's like a dream that just came true.

You know what engravings I usually find in HFS spots? Elves committing depraved acts upon dwarves. Of course it would be awesome, and it will have a tinge of revenge floating about the artwork...
Nobbins's Tileset Shoppe

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 09:45:46 pm »

I don't know if you could do it to the ENTIRE mountain... Sometimes the could have soil layers just at the edges so you can't smooth/engrave.

Would be awesome though.

Make a giant (we'll go with cast obsidian) mountain and engrave the entire thing.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 09:51:45 pm »

That would be awesome. It would blow your architectural wealth up by a factor of about a million, too. Plus there's lots of room for history. =D

Or lots of pictures of rope, barrels, cheese, and an engraving of the engraving of cheese next to it.
Lost's sanctuary for Lolis.
Quest Complete! 41/31

Holy Mittens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 11:15:07 pm »

I pretty much just do this eventually after my fort gets to a certain size. Eventually, there's nothing inside to smooth/engrave so I just have my legendary engravers do the entire outside of the mountain.

personofshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 02:40:32 am »

Urist McEngraver: Boss, we ran out of room for history on the walls

Urist McBoss: What do you want me to do about it? Just go carve it on the mountain or something

Years later a lone adventurer would stumble upon a mountain covered in engravings telling the tale of a dwarven outpost. Ironically, according to the histories, the engraver was struck down by orcs while recording their invasion. In his dying moments he recorded his own unfortunate demise

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010, 03:00:03 am »

I wonder how high you could get your Architecture based wealth doing this, especially if you use an Obsidian or flux-based mountain and take the idea even further by carving out smaller mountains to be smoothed and engraved inside of the original mountain.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010, 06:00:51 am »

Well, if you're going for an insane architecture value, you can also hollow out every ounce of stone on the map and smooth/engrave the floors.
Then rebuild the soil layers and your fortress with iron or steel, using more valuable materials where possible.
Roads count towards it too, so make plenty of those for extra value!

I'm so totally trying this sometime.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 06:04:10 am by Lightning4 »

TKGP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2010, 06:18:18 am »

Insane architectural value due to smoothing and engraving?
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=46316.0
Mmhmm.
Quote from: tomio175
Quote from: Mrhappyface
Well if COD players all have ADHD, and Minecrafters autism, then what do DF players all have?
Cave adaption.

Cockyy

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels task: Interrupted by Vomit
    • View Profile
    • You're mother.
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2010, 10:00:34 am »

Damn, I was beaten to linking Pull The Lever
There was a signature here. Now it's gone.

;__;

TBot Alpha

• Bay Watcher
  • TBot Alpha has gone insane!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2010, 10:45:21 am »

Make your fort out of wood, and build everything of worth out of anything other than stone. Then go with the suggestion someone else mentioned, and turn the mountain into an insane russian-doll mountain full of engravings.

When finished, cap the entrance with a door of some kind, tear down the wooden fort, abandon, then reclaim and see how many dorfs you get out of it.
Quote from: Mr. Mcguffin
After six dwarves died via suicide brigade tactics, the alliphant retreated a few steps, and then exploded.

Best. Game. Ever.

My miner fell in an underground sea of magma while wrestling a troglodyte in mid-air.

Roostre

• Bay Watcher
  • DF addict since 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2010, 06:24:59 pm »

My suggestion, if it hasn't been made yet: Start engraving the ground at the top of the mountain, then take off the topmost ramps, do the walls and floor on the next level down... and work your way down. Mine out any gems you see poking out of the mountain along the way, just so you can have 'em.

I would wait until your stone detailer has plenty of skill, and plenty of fortress history to carve, before you begin. It is a very neat idea, though, and does sound like a cool megaproject for beginners.
Quote from: Ronnie James Dio
Beware; you've found the answer.