Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Medical wards: The idea to uncrowd your barracks with injured dorfs.  (Read 1548 times)

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Here is an idea to better organize your fortress, this would go along with medical supplys such as silk bandages and other things to help dwarfs heal faster, but here is a more important question, WHY ARE THE DWARFS SPARING ON THAT DWARFS BROKEN ARM!
No wonder it takes 3 years for a broken arm to heal, not anymore, with the ability to designate a medical ward for your injured dwarfs.

You would build a room for one, then place a few beds, then make them a room and designate them a medical ward, prob. with the letter M.
A dwarf with health care on would treat the injured dwarfs as far as giving them water would go, as they would be a nurse, but if the injurie system is expanded maybe dwarfs need to be able to have doctor dwarf help them out a little? Maybe he can return those nerv damage dwarfs to some easier tasks around the fort, like crafting well crafts, or animal caretaking/training. So those worthless beardy dwarfs wouldn't need to be such a problem because their 100 friends would have a hissy fit when they are terminated for their useless stature.

Feel free to tell me this idea sucks and maybe if you like it discuss it here. Yes my spelling sucks, please don't mention it, I know already.
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

Malrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Medical wards: The idea to uncrowd your barracks with injured dorfs.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 09:32:54 pm »

Yeah man I'm all for it, but I think Toady's already working on this.

You will be able to designate hospital beds and use soap for cleaning injured dwarves, to stop the infections he's also going to add.

Bandages and casts seem like a good idea, it'd give me a reason to actually have clothiers. The alchemist can make a plaster cast, as well as medicine that might help (or not, considering all the alcohol and madness coursing through him.)

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 09:52:42 pm »

Making those dorfs happy with adamntine statues will make for a speedy recovery!
your hoard, your dwarves, and your fortress.
I prefer Hoard, Horde, and Hovel...

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 09:58:51 pm »

Quote from: Dev Now
As you might want to gather and treat the wounded without the benefit of tables or beds (due to resource constraints or otherwise), I went with an activity zone for the hospital. I've added a few options to activity zone placement to make that a little easier (they can overlap now, you can flow them out like rooms, and delete a single zone regardless of overlaps). This'll also be a good test for using zones for things like dynamic workshops (way) later if things go that direction, as hospital zones will need to manage several buildings. It might also be useful for some military applications for this release.

In any case, next up are the specific goings-on at the hospital. Unfortunately for the critters, this means repeated applications of (1) create a hospital zone and staff settings (2) debug-chop a dwarf (3) see how it goes.
The broken-armed dwarf understood that he needed to run off to the hospital zone properly, but care never came, because I'm still working on that. Poor little buddy.
He's now surrounded by many skilled medical professionals. They still aren't all that useful, but just their presence must be encouraging for him. Well, I guess that's not true either.
The doctors now plan out our dwarf's care in detail, but lacking the tools they need, we still find them prescribing nothing more than bed rest.
After a brief period of the doctor walking up to our injured dwarf, looking at himself and deciding that nothing was wrong, the medical staff were further educated. Then the doctor went off and grabbed the wooden splint and properly fastened it on the patient's right lower arm. The dwarf left the hospital and mined out a passage with the pick in his left hand.

That about what you're hoping for?
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 10:23:58 pm »

Yes, that would be what I was thinking.
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 02:13:28 am »

Inb4Footkerchief

This has been suggested before, and is as far as I know in for the next release, along with bandages, wooden legs for amputees, and so on.
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 05:31:14 am »

Inb4Footkerchief

But you weren't in before Demonic Gophers, who helpfully consolidated information about the upcoming healthcare system.  Anyway, yeah, it's all in the next version and it's going to rule, so at least that means it was a good idea!