Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Manager and Windows 7?  (Read 1097 times)

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
Dwarf Manager and Windows 7?
« on: January 08, 2010, 04:22:32 pm »

A quick question, I have Dwarf Manager 7.1, but I can start it, as it gives me an "unknown version of DF" error. I'm using Mayday's tileset, the pre-packed game version from the site. The only thing I can think of is that I'm lacking the .Net Framework, but the download site lists windows up to Vista.

My question is, is the .Net Framework the problem, and if not, what the hell can I do to get my daily dose of DF?
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

Nogford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Manager and Windows 7?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 05:06:27 pm »

Anything for Vista will work for Windows 7. Well, almost anything.

Graven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 05:17:28 pm »

Hmm, I hope you're right :) Downloading it now, it turns out Win 7 only has .Net 3.0, not the 3.5 the Dwarf Manager requires. In the meantime I'll be on my sacrificial altar slaughtering goblins in prayer to the Blood God.

Edit : Ok, I've installed it, but there doesn't seem to be a change, the Manager still crashes with the same message. I checked in the windows folder, there is 3.5 in the .Net subfolder, along with all the previous ones, but how can I check if it installed correctly?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 05:36:11 pm by Graven »
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 05:46:29 pm »

Is your windows windows 7 x32 or x64? 64-bit users seem to be having issues with those memory-reader programs.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Graven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 06:02:12 pm »

32 bit. I was hesitant to install 64bit with only 3 GB ram, and I figured I don't really need it anyway :)

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 06:14:16 pm »

A quick question, I have Dwarf Manager 7.1, but I can start it, as it gives me an "unknown version of DF" error. I'm using Mayday's tileset, the pre-packed game version from the site. The only thing I can think of is that I'm lacking the .Net Framework, but the download site lists windows up to Vista.

My question is, is the .Net Framework the problem, and if not, what the hell can I do to get my daily dose of DF?
Why are you looking at .NET as a possible issue when it's your Dwarf Fortress version that's the issue? I'm guessing you've gone and downloaded 40d16 or something. Dwarf Manager's webpage says "It is out-of-the-box compatible with DF 0.28.181.40c, ~40d, ~40d8, ~40d9 and ~40d11."
Download one of those and you should be fine.
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

Graven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 06:39:42 pm »

I...It...I mean...

See, this is why you don't go around doing stuff after 3 hour study-session in economics at midnight. Retardation occurs at an alarming rate. So... can we never speak of this again  :-[ ?

Oh, and while I'm at it, is there any way to, dunno, enable it to run with d16?

edit : Anyway, I think I'll be best if I went to bed now. If anyone feels like posting a way to make Manager work with d16, or any other similar utility that works with it, I'll be very grateful, in the morning.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 06:42:40 pm by Graven »

cstruble

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 06:54:55 pm »

Dwarf Therapist should work with d16.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 07:04:07 pm »

Alternatively, if you still want to use Dwarf Manager, this post should contain the necessary info to add 40d16 compatibility.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Graven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 03:31:09 am »

Ah, thank you both :) I tried the two variants, but Manager sadly still crashes on me even with the fix, so Therapist it is for now.