Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: See creatures age!  (Read 1363 times)

Bricktop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: See creatures age!
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2008, 07:31:00 am »

Simple solution, have creatures ages displayed but have the same sort of rounding that badly kept stocks have. Therefore you know that Urist paddlelove is '34', but that burnydeath the dragon is simply known to be '500?'

Chaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mist Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2008, 10:02:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Capntastic:
<STRONG>Yeah.   Exact numbers for stuff your guys wouldn't know exactly sort of takes one out of the game.    Just like having numerical stats would.</STRONG>

I don't agree. I think there is a large difference between the two. Like previously mentioned we can alredy know the exact name of every invader and such, knowing exact age seems fine to me.

A lurker has sprung from ambush!

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2008, 02:10:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Nite/m4re:
<STRONG>But you are an overseeing spirit! You can read the minds and thoughts of all dwarves, magically know the name of all invaders, you should be able to see age of creatures too.</STRONG>

Read this again, nay-sayers.  He's on to it.  The numbers and such you see are not there for your dwarves to know, they're there for you to know.  You are watching a story unfold before you and have the ability to nudge it in directions that are pleasing to you.  This has nothing to do with seeing things you 'shouldn't know.'

MindSnap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2008, 05:21:00 pm »

I think that rather than having exact ages for invaders and foreigners, tags like "Young", "Old", "Ancient" and "Middle-aged" should be used.

Xzazbadaz, Middle-aged goblin, is having a crisis!

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2008, 05:24:00 pm »

I agree in that you should be able to get an exact age out of any creature that the game feels like storing the necessary data for. That way, we aren't limited to our dwarves' experiences when it comes to storytelling.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2008, 05:32:00 pm »

I guess I am of the rare belief that the player shouldn't know everything.

Len B

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2008, 02:55:00 pm »

While not specific to age, I think I'd like to have the general descriptions kept general with tags denoting categories and the specifics unknown.  That way, the legends speak vaguely of a terrifying dragon "Bob" arriving in the earliest days of Dwarven Culture; and when Bob comes to play at your fortress, you see that "Yes, Bob is large, and older than dirt... (Or N00b Dragon, newly hatched)".

And enabling Armok 'Blood Mode' in the settings will let you see EVERYTHING on a simple 'k' cursor click...  "Bob is <x> years old, was born in The Lonely Pants of Frosty, and has -blah blah-"

More settings please!  and give the Player the control...  that way those with specific desires can set it their way, and we stop having these silly arguments in the forums.   :roll:

Len, "The Staplerlord", Mighty Evil Master of the Office Supplies.<BR>Len has been grumpy lately. He slept in a meager bedroom recently.<BR>Len likes bicycles, ninjas, the color clear, and succubi for their suckulence.<BR>  When possible, he prefers to consume souls of the marginally damnned just before the last spark of hope expires deep within.
Pages: 1 [2]