Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "Exploding" material  (Read 1254 times)

Chainlinc3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"Exploding" material
« on: August 31, 2010, 01:53:16 pm »

So I've been playing around with the raws, and I kinda got my mind set on having a material that would both become a gas and ignite at room temperature.  Unfortunately for lil' ol' me, I'm having quite a bit of trouble with achieving that effect (unless there's something funky about the object testing arena I just don't know about).  I'm using the substance as a blood, just for the sake of importing it into the arena, and so far I've accidentally created blood that vanishes after a brief period of time (I think it evaporates, but there's no mist or anything so it's hard to tell) as well as blood that lingers until it's owner dies, then vanishes completely.  At no point has it actually ignited (which made me suspect that only solids could burn, inadvertently leading to the self-cleaning blood described earlier).

Anyway, I'm probably way out of my depth here.  My original thought on this was "I wonder if I could make something like the thermonuclear catsplosion on the wiki, but without the cat."  And... well, so far I've decisively proven I can't.  >.>
Any advice?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "Exploding" material
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 01:55:47 pm »

Could you post what you've done so far?

Chainlinc3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 02:05:57 pm »

[SPEC_HEAT:1] <-- Thought this might have been my problem, but putting it ludicrously low doesn't seem to help.
   [IGNITE_POINT:1000] <-- Is the main thing I'd like to achieve
   [MELTING_POINT:1000] <-- Caused some interesting blood-vanishing when put very high
   [BOILING_POINT:1000] <-- ... I'm out of random observations.
   [HEATDAM_POINT:10250]
   [COLDDAM_POINT:9900]
   [MAT_FIXED_TEMP:1000000000] <-- Tried this at a bunch of different things, including none.  Don't think it's working...
   [SOLID_DENSITY:500]
   [LIQUID_DENSITY:NONE]
   [MOLAR_MASS:NONE]
   [IMPACT_YIELD:10000]
   [IMPACT_FRACTURE:10000]
   [IMPACT_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:100]
   [COMPRESSIVE_YIELD:10000]
   [COMPRESSIVE_FRACTURE:10000]
   [COMPRESSIVE_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:100]
   [TENSILE_YIELD:10000]
   [TENSILE_FRACTURE:10000]
   [TENSILE_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:100]
   [TORSION_YIELD:10000]
   [TORSION_FRACTURE:10000]
   [TORSION_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:100]
   [SHEAR_YIELD:6600]
   [SHEAR_FRACTURE:6600]
   [SHEAR_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:100]
   [BENDING_YIELD:10000]
   [BENDING_FRACTURE:10000]
   [BENDING_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:100]
   [MAX_EDGE:500]
   [ABSORPTION:100]
   [IMPLIES_ANIMAL_KILL]
   [ROTS]
   [BLOOD_MAP_DESCRIPTOR]
I left out the random description stuff, just because it's clutter and I don't think it's anything relevant...  If I'm wrong, that'd probably be my problem.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 02:12:47 pm »

[MAT_FIXED_TEMP:1000000000]

That's very, very, very high, and I suspect you realise. It doesn't need to be anywhere near that hot. First thing you should do is lower that to something reasonable (50000 or the like).

I suppose you'd probably want to test the idea in steps. Switch SPEC_HEAT/MELTING/BOILING to NONE and see if it works as a solid (of course, you'll want to adjust the creature so it's in a natural solid state). If that works, then add a melting point. If that works, a boiling point.

Chainlinc3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 02:25:43 pm »

Yeah... I was kinda getting desperate with the MAT_FIXED_TEMP...  Anyway, I did as you said, setting all the relevant stuff to NONE except for IGNITE_POINT which I set to 5000.  Unless the wiki is false (or I'm just an idiot...), room temp should consistently be over 10000, but yet the material did not burst into flame.  Also notable is that the material didn't show up as solid, despite the lack of a melting point.

I'm just going to point this out here: I *am* using a Mac.  I don't think that would have to do with this, but I'm just throwing it out there in case Toady's decided not to implement temperature in the Mac version for some reason or another.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 02:29:00 pm »

Assuming it's still inside a creature, did you change that creature's blood into a solid? Otherwise it'll show up as a liquid no matter what.

[BLOOD:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:BLOOD:LIQUID]

To

[BLOOD:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:BLOOD:SOLID]

Or something like that.

Chainlinc3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 02:59:26 pm »

Gah... you're right, I goofed there.  Now I'm getting dustings, which I assume are solid.  Unfortunately, still no combusting even with the ignite point at 1, at least not visibly.  Magma does destroy it now, which is progress (I think?).

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 03:02:49 pm »

The only other thing I can think of is to raise the melt/boil/etc points - 9508 is the closest we can get to absolute zero on DF's scale, so it might be bugging out a little if it's too low.

Chainlinc3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 06:00:59 pm »

Hrm...
Well, thanks for your help.  I've fiddled with it some more (still no reliable ignition, though I can get it sometimes), and I think I'm just going to go with a work-around for my desired goal...  If I get it to work... well, I'll probably make a post in all my nooby glory.  :P

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2010, 10:28:54 am »

Heh I've been aiming for a similar thing.  Ideally I wanted it to do the same thing you are looking for where it flat out explodes and catches fire, but I had the same problems you did. This was part of the WIP:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I had originally started trying to set the freezing/melting/boiling point of the normal cat blood based on the BLOOD_TEMPLATE, but I didn't have a lot of luck getting all the values just right.  I could get to where it would remain liquid for a few frames and then evaporate, but that was as close as I could get.  This is a half-edited part of an old version, so the temperature numbers in the blood section are probably very wrong.

As you experienced, setting the blood to SOLID accomplished pretty much nothing except for little chunks of solid blood that would evaporate like dry ice.  Leaving to liquid did the same thing except with little puddles.  Setting to GAS seemed to make it never actually show up since I guess it would come out and evaporate immediately.

Eventually I went with only the gaseous tissue layer and went back to cats having normal cat blood.  It doesn't actually "explode" but it apparently does impart an impact force when it "leaks" out, at least if the cat takes significant damage and enough of it comes out at once.  Attackers can be thrown back and "bruised" if they hack the cat strong enough.  (In arena mode with a single cat and a bunch of goblins with axes, if a couple are right next to the cat when it gets hacked to pieces, they will get tossed back a couple squares.)

This is what is currently in my cats.  I added a boiling point even though the blood is supposed to be gaseous because it would occasionally stick around as "stains" of "explosive cat blood" on the ground.   Even now I see occasional "explosive cat n/a" on a tile and I have no idea how to deal with that.

Code: [Select]
[spoiler]
  [BLOOD:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:BLOOD:LIQUID]

[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:BOILING_BLOOD:CREATURE_EXTRACT_TEMPLATE]
    [STATE_NAME:ALL_SOLID:frozen explosive cat blood]
    [STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:frozen explosive cat blood]
    [STATE_NAME:LIQUID:condensed explosive cat blood]
    [STATE_NAME_ADJ:LIQUID:condensed explosive cat blood]
    [STATE_NAME:GAS:explosive cat blood]
    [STATE_NAME_ADJ:GAS:explosive cat blood]
    [STATE_COLOR:ALL:CARMINE]
[MELTING_POINT:9870]
[BOILING_POINT:9930]
[PREFIX:NONE]
    [ENTERS_BLOOD]
    [SYNDROME]
      [SYN_NAME:catsplosion lung]
      [SYN_IMMUNE_CREATURE:CAT:ALL]
      [SYN_IMMUNE_CREATURE:DWARF:ALL]
      [SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON]
      [SYN_INHALED]
      [CE_DIZZINESS:SEV:100:PROB:100:START:20:PEAK:500]
      [CE_NAUSEA:SEV:100:PROB:100:START:1000:PEAK:2000]
      [CE_BLEEDING:SEV:100:PROB:100:BP:BY_CATEGORY:MOUTH:ALL:START:500:PEAK:2000]
      [CE_NECROSIS:SEV:100:PROB:100:BP:BY_CATEGORY:HAND:ALL:START:1000:PEAK:2500]
      [CE_NECROSIS:SEV:100:PROB:100:BP:BY_CATEGORY:FOOT:ALL:START:1000:PEAK:2500]
      [CE_NECROSIS:SEV:100:PROB:100:BP:BY_CATEGORY:LUNG:ALL:START:2000:PEAK:4000]

[TISSUE:BOILING_BLOOD]
    [TISSUE_NAME:boiling cat blood:NP]
    [TISSUE_MATERIAL:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:BOILING_BLOOD]
    [TISSUE_MAT_STATE:GAS]
    [RELATIVE_THICKNESS:50]
    [TISSUE_LEAKS]
    [TISSUE_SHAPE:LAYER]

[TISSUE_LAYER_UNDER:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:BOILING_BLOOD]
[/spoiler]
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0