Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Fun things to do with water?  (Read 1512 times)

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fun things to do with water?
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2010, 10:07:01 am »

In other words, experience is the best teacher.

That's exactly how it went, for me. The first time I built a well, I built it because I needed it. I was in a tropical biome with a minor river or a stream or something, and it was infested with carp and pike and stuff. I ended up with an injured dwarf somehow, and the others kept going outside to the river to get water for him. After two died, I wiki'd wells, read just enough to be dangerous, and proceeded.

The residential level of my fort was on -10 or something like that, nice and deep in the earth. So I dug out a little room for the well, dug down a level, then dug a pipe over to where the river was. Then I dug up until I was just below the surface, right next to the river. I had my miner dig into the river then run for it back down the stairs that lined the pipe I'd dug. He made it, and the well started filling. Yay.

Minutes later, I was all, "Why is there water everywhere? Why is my well overflowing???"

After that, like Shrike said, it was "I must find a way to use this."

Overspeculated

• Bay Watcher
  • euklid on pth
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2010, 10:53:22 am »

When I read the title, all I could think was: "set it on fire", despite the obvious impossibility of it.

jokermatt999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2010, 10:58:55 am »

Hmm, someone mentioned that water cannot push entities straight up. However, it can obviously move them horizontally. If water pushes a creature straight at a ramp, with nowhere else to go, will they begin going up levels? If so, you could create a nice water pressure ramp to shoot goblins off of.
Pages: 1 [2]