Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chiped,Dented,Bent,Burnt,...  (Read 676 times)

Zulaf

• Bay Watcher
  • Am I learning, or do I only think I am?
    • View Profile
Chiped,Dented,Bent,Burnt,...
« on: October 16, 2007, 09:24:00 pm »

ripped,torn,scratched,cracked,warped,melted ect ect ect

Would be nice if items got worn down differntly(and showed it) by the way it was used, instead of just how long they have been used for.

Of course the value would go down(not sure if it goes down now) but at an appropriate amount for each type of damage it sustains. also if a sword or xbow got bent/warped it would be less accurate or do less damage.

WIERD 2-5-6-8-9-14

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: Chiped,Dented,Bent,Burnt,...
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 09:47:00 pm »

This'll probably go in when sullies and other such detaily things are in.   It'll be cool to have a giant crush you and leave nothing but shattered bones.

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 10:16:00 pm »

Yes, but depending on the type of metal, something such as a bent sword could be fixed relatively easily. This would have implications for repairing things if it's ever implemented.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 04:05:00 am »

You forgot, amongst others;
compressed, crushed, split, mangled, knit (like those guns in some art), splinted, corroded, crumbled, smeared, spilled, spliced, flensed, boiled, fried, deformed, merged with (the cliff, or the tree, for example, mostly caused by teleporting, or something growing into something else), exploded, fossilized, dissembled, twisted and many more!

I will trye to remember posting some more... spesifick examples later, I got one right now:
This is a dwarwen skeleton, it is merged whit the stalagmite, it is horribly deformed, it is badly fossilized, it is cracked.
the skeleton is wearing a steel platmail, it is badly corroded, it is wrapped, on the item is an image of an dwarf and a goblin in gold, the dwarf is striking down the goblin, the image is slightly scratched.

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Anti-Paragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Clerk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 09:25:00 pm »

Gnawed, rusted, partially melted, infested, frayed, haggard, jaded, shabby...

@ Armok: Mangled is already in there, and spliced suggests the item was genetically engineered.   :roll:

I like this idea, but AlanL is right, these types of superficial touches are best left near the end.

Don't forget this could be used for positive things too!  
"This is a *adamentine long sword*. It is honed. It is serrated."

Klokjammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 11:53:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Anti-Paragon:
<STRONG>... and spliced suggests the item was genetically engineered.    :roll:
</STRONG>

Really? The first things I thought of when I saw the term "spliced" were with ropes and wiring.  Look Here.

Adding conditions to items would add to the challenge. It would certainly give me an incentive to make more weapons and tools than to pick up whatever visitors have left behind.  

Although I don't see any use of fossilized objects, I don't think anyone in this era in game is interested in archeology.  Sure the Dwarves of Blizzard's Warcraft are into archeology and curating museums, but I don't think the average dwarf in DF would be interested in these kind of things ("If it aint metal or shiny get it outa mah face!"). It just sounds like just another thing for them to take to the refuse pile or into the chasm.

Code: [Select]
g  <-  This is a goat
g  <-  This is a goblin mason
g  <-  This is a gremlin covered in white paint

Does everyone understand the difference now?

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 05:38:00 am »

Anti-Paragon:
1. some good examples, however "partially melted" should in the system I suggested be replaced by "melted" and "partially" being a FLAVOR of "melted", this would allow for descriptions like "slightly melted", "completely melted" and "horribly melted".  :D

2. Se Klokjammers post. (abut mangled; Oops)

3. well, *I* want these awfully awesome flavors in as big doses as possible.

4. Yeszs!  :D
Engraved, curved, polished, clean, dusty, new, old, big, subtitle, spiky, smooth, beautiful, pretty, utilitarian, simple, small, decorated, orated, step, detailed... we do not need to keep to damage!

Klokjammer:
1. exactly

2. ???

3. didn't you read my example? Really i think these suggestions is more for adventurer mode than dwarf mode, and even if they just throw it into a chasm wouldn't it still be awesome to reclaim a fort abandoned for a thousand years, and have to hack the corpse of your old favorite dwarf out of the sediments to whit he has merged and have the dwarf give him a burial a milania late?

Everybody:
Can anyone guess what had happened to the fossilized dwarf in my last post, after shutsh a horrible description i thought it went whiteout saying, but apparently I was wrong, lets hear some gruesome theories!
The scene with a stalagmite-encrusted dwarf I can say was inspired while reading THUD (diskworld book), but the cause of it is not the same!  :D <- (that is supposed to be a sadistic/evil smile)

flayed, smeared, crisped, wisped, rasped, risped, smashed, petrified, cooked, stretched, impaled, blunted( is this even a word?), gutted, luted, muted, dismembered, shaved...

And please it would be very fun if somebody posted something more in the style of my "specific example", pretty please?

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...