Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Specific pets for certain Civs  (Read 538 times)

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Specific pets for certain Civs
« on: January 05, 2010, 11:53:55 am »

Imagine that I've got a new civ modded in. It works, it's fun, and I might even make it playable.

There's just one tiny little thing I couldn't figure out;

How to make it the ONLY civ to use (and to not use) certain creatures for pets?

Imagine that I do not want them to use cats nor dogs, but that I do want them to use horses, along with a few custom pet races (which only they may use).

Is this currently possible?
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Specific pets for certain Civs
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 12:30:46 pm »

There isn't an intuititive way to do it, but someone (whose name I unfortunately can't remember) came up with an excellent workaround a few months ago. Basically by playing around with the [GOOD] and[EVIL] tokens in addition to the [BIOME:SUBTERREANEAN_CHASM] one on the creatures you want to limit and [USE_EVIL_ANIMALS] etc. on the entity definitions you can limit their choices of domestics.

So, say you want a set of livestock that only dwarves can use, you could give the animals entries:
[GOOD] [BIOME:SUBTERRANEAN_CHASM] [COMMON_DOMESTIC] (and omit [LARGE_ROAMING] if you don't want to encounter them in the wild)

And give the Dwarvern civ entry:
[USE_CAVE_ANIMALS] (They have this by default) [USE_GOOD_ANIMALS]

Now they'll be able to embark with those creatures. If you want them not to be able to have other animals that other races have access to, you'll have to give those [EVIL]. You can make another subset of creatures that have Chasm Biomes and [EVIL] tokens and allow another race, like the Goblins to use those.

There are a lot of limits, and it'll take some mucking about, but if you're prepared for a couple of sacrifices, you ought to be able to get basically what you want.

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 12:35:40 pm »

I'm not sure if it'd work.
I want the species to use a creature that lives in tropical areas.
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 12:39:12 pm »

Well, just give it [GOOD] or [EVIL] then and the corresponding one in the entity file.

If you want other creatures to used good/evil creatures too, but without them wanting to use your custom creature you could always give it both tokens, and both in the entity file too.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 07:47:06 pm »

I was the one who discovered the workaround that Lancensis mentioned.  ;D

It is not possible, as far as I know, to have a creature both be a civilization-specific pet and have it appear in all tropical areas, but you could make it a civilization-specific pet that appears in most tropical areas by giving it the [GOOD][EVIL][SAVAGE][BENIGN][BIOME:ANY_TROPICAL] tokens and your entity the [USE_GOOD_ANIMALS][USE_EVIL_ANIMALS] tokens. Those 5 tokens that you give the creature should, I believe, make it appear in any tropical biome that is not straight Wilderness (that is, not savage, good, evil, or calm). Play with worldgen parameters to make non-good, non-evil, non-savage, non-calm areas very rare or nonexistent, if you can, and it should get you what you want.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!