Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ouch, ORCS  (Read 789 times)

Ravenplucker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ouch, ORCS
« on: January 05, 2010, 08:01:08 am »

I've just gotten my first orc siege using the Dig Deeper mod.

10 Wrestlers.
5 Swordsorcs
and 1 Lasher.

And I lived.

One untrained recruit armoured in full steel managed to hold them off enough for the Hallway of Wooden Spikes to weaken them enough to be mobbed and torn to pieces by the rest of my fortress. (about 15)

Anyone else had cool experiences with Dig Deeper? (or normal?)

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ouch, ORCS
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 09:21:12 am »

After a year or two of playing (In real life), I was attacked by a Titan a couple of days ago... I had no combat peoples, just a bunch of recruits.

The titan crossed my bridge, and 70 or 80 recruits attached themselves to him, nobody died. Madness.

But, about 40 dwarves were scattered about with flashing +s. Nethertheless, good times. I'll always cherish and remember my first Megabeast. :]
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 09:37:05 am »

I knew about the orcs. I was expecting the orcs. The orcs were tough, and I lost several inadequately prepared forts to them at first.

In my frustration, I decided to build The Grinder™, a long entrance tunnel paved with weapon traps. Then I learned that orcs are trap avoiders by default.

I edited that attribute tag out right quick. Fun is fun, but I wanted to see the walls of my tunnel caked in orcspatter.

The Grinder worked great. The walls of my tunnel were caked in orcspatter.

Then the ancient vampire came.

Ancient vampires can fly over walls. They can breathe fire. They can probably do other things too, but I was too busy coming to grips with the fact that they can fricking fly and breathe fire to take detailed notes.

The ancient vampire "fought" his way down to my hospital level. I put the word in quotes because it wasn't so much fighting as it was walking … with fire.

There he sat. Occasionally he would wander over to a bed and incinerate the badly burned dwarf who was trying to recover there, but mostly he just hung out. My dwarves (the ones who were still alive and ambulatory) hung out in the dining room one floor below. A sort of detente was achieved.

I thought about walling off the hospital and moving on with my life, but instead I recruited the whole fort and sent them in as unskilled wrestlers.

My fort crumbled to its end.

Dig Deeper can be Fun.

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 07:40:13 pm »

I ended up taking off TRAPAVOID so my early forts could do something besides sit and wait them out. (My marksdorfs, you see, use up whatever ammo they brought and just stand there. Even if I have more ammo available, even if they're hungry/tired/thirsty, they stand there until the enemy leaves or I undraft them, whichever comes first: simply taking their squad off duty doesn't work.)
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 09:44:02 pm »

I ended up taking off TRAPAVOID so my early forts could do something besides sit and wait them out. (My marksdorfs, you see, use up whatever ammo they brought and just stand there. Even if I have more ammo available, even if they're hungry/tired/thirsty, they stand there until the enemy leaves or I undraft them, whichever comes first: simply taking their squad off duty doesn't work.)

You can fix the marksdwarf freeze problem by ordering them to stick to their station instead of chasing enemies.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod