Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Different materiels for beds  (Read 973 times)

Riemann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Different materiels for beds
« on: October 16, 2007, 06:23:00 pm »

I understand the need to limit bed materiels for gameplay balance. Just making one out of stone would be too easy. But considering how vital beds are it seems like allowing some other way to make them of similar difficulty would be a good thing. It would make a far wider range of environments more playable without making it too easy in the new version. EG: Glaciers, open plains, bare rock mountains etc...

Some suggestions:
1) 1 stone block + 1 cloth
2) 1 metal bars + 1 cloth

Exasperation

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Different materiels for beds
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 06:38:00 pm »

As I understand it, one way that beds used to be made was by making an open frame (basically just a rectangle), stringing rope across it, and resting the bedding on the ropes.  If you were building beds according to this model, you would make a bedframe out of stone/wood/metal at an appropriate workshop, then assemble a bedframe, a rope, and a cloth into a bed at a craftsdwarf's workshop (or have a bed require one of each for construction...both methods have advantages and disadvantages).

This would make building a bed a multi-step process (and therefore more difficult), but it would mean that you would be more or less guaranteed the ability to make them.

If you pre-assembled the bed parts into a bed, it would be faster to set up a bed that you had already made, whereas if you assembled the bed on-site you could break it up into its component parts later and use the rope or cloth for something else.  I personally like the latter, but I have a bit of a 'waste-not want-not' approach to DF materials.

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 07:57:00 pm »

Those are some good ideas, I was thinking ropes for hammocks, but your way with the multiple materials is more balanced.

Of course the cloth requirement does bring into question the fact that dwarves in this version seem perfectly happy to sleep on a bare piece of wood..

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 12:22:00 am »

A lot of discussion related to bedding was already brought up in the How about bedrolls? thread below, for anyone joining the conversation late. =)
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin