Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to Complete a Megaproject?  (Read 884 times)

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to Complete a Megaproject?
« on: January 04, 2010, 11:17:43 pm »

In my current fort, I have almost finished casting a 33x33x18 obsidian tower. However, it turns out that I grossly overestimated the number of levels I would need for my apartment complex, and thus I have absolutely no use for the top 6 levels.

So: What should I do with a 6 z-level thick 33x33 obsidian block? I of course have magma and water pump stacks available, but they're in the cast and scaffolding and I intend to remove them once the project is complete, so nothing that involves neverending supplies of magma or water should be suggested. Limited supplies of these things are of course acceptable.

My current idea is somewhat boring: carve out, smooth, and engrave a massive bowl on the top of the tower and fill it with lava. I think I can manage to make it 7 z-levels deep if I build a wall out of screw pumps to hold in the lava on the top level and then pump water through them, too.

Thoughts?
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
Re: How to Complete a Megaproject?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 11:30:17 pm »

I'd probably go with a swimming pool! Make it your meeting area. like 3/7 water would do good I think. Risky dwarfs can go to the deep end.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 11:49:17 pm »

Or you could opt to build a magma swimming pool.  Best of both worlds.

Me?  I'd fancy it up, make the top 6 levels nightmare-fuel-esque designs that would cause even M.C. Escher to scratch his head.
Sanity is for the weak.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 11:52:14 pm »

Hmm. Urist McPhilosopher suggests a Dwarven Particle Accelerator. Hmm. Preferably one that accelerates particles of Noble in the direction of the ground. Hmm. Preferably not the Philosopher, though; he's a pretty chill guy.

Other than that... a bestiary? Filled with Dangerous Beasties! Make it your ongoing megaproject to acquire as many different species of animals as you can and put them in your Dwarven Petting Zoo.

If it's cast obsidian, (not constructed obsidian) you could even muddy the floor so that you can grow plants, and make it all jungle-like.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 12:07:36 am »

Heated swimming pool.

An outer 1 tile wide/deep layer of magma with an inner bowl of water.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 12:16:00 am »

Recreate the top floor of the building from Ghostbusters and make Gozer's temple into the throne room for your ruler.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 12:57:17 am »

I like the beastiary idea, but unfortunately my map is on good mountains and savage desert, and the only wild animals I've ever seen are sasquatches, leopards, jaguars, giant lions and jaguars, and mountain gnomes. The elves are also being bigger jerks than usual and aren't bringing me so much as a groundhog for exotic animals, so it wouldn't be very interesting  >:(

The various swimming pool ideas... Meh, maybe one level above my upper nobles' quarters, but that still leaves me 5 (and 1/2 maybe if I can get the casting done right up there) levels to play with.

Also, it'll apparently be a while before I actually do this because for some reason having magma drop 18 z-levels is killing my FPS. I dropped from ~40 to 1 instantly when I opened the bridges  ::)
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 03:27:04 am »

I'm a fan of your bowl-of-magma idea. But I would make it shallower and have a a recirculating fountain on a spire in the middle. Bonus points for a design that will never need refilling.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 06:26:44 am »

A personal palace for your 'best' noble on two of the floors, an obsidian statue gallery on one, a floor of bastillae performing target practice off the side, and a swimming pool.

Oh, and a tomb complex if you have space.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

absynthe7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 10:52:49 am »

I'm amused by the idea of putting a drawbridge-catapult-trap at the top, with pressure plates or a lever you could assign to specific unwanted nobles. Just the thought of captured goblins or stupid nobles being launched via drawbridge from the top of an 18-story tower makes me smile :D

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 12:49:46 pm »

Dedicate entire floor to catapults. Lots of catapults hurling stones in all directions. The central area will be a big stone stockpile for catapults.

Siege operators get a lot of training, you dispose of tons of useless stone, and there are hundreds of hauling jobs which is nice if you have economy on.
Seems to be the way with things on this forum; if an invention doesn't involve death by magma then you know someone's going to go out of their way to make sure it does involve death by magma... then it gets acknowledged as being a great invention.