Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trying to create aqua dwarfs, no luck at all.  (Read 661 times)

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Trying to create aqua dwarfs, no luck at all.
« on: January 04, 2010, 04:35:08 pm »

Well, you see I always wanted to create a fully functioning underwater fortress, but not in the ground and in the ocean, well I tried many different ways, none worked, even creating aquatic dwarfs, if anyone could help me a bit and explain a way to get dwarfs to work underwater I tried making them able to breathe underwater and above water, with the amphibian tag and having them able to swim from birth but they refuse to do any tasks in the water.
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to create aqua dwarfs, no luck at all.
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 04:36:21 pm »

Yeah, this sort of thing doesn't work yet.

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 04:38:16 pm »

Oh ok, thanks.
Damn, gotta wait for the next version before I can hopefully create dwarf rapture.
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 06:27:42 pm »

Next version has nothing to do with underwater/air pathfinding. Sadly.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 08:51:21 pm »

It's a problem with how pathfinding works for members of your civilization.  I assume it'll get fixed whenever the issues with flying civilization members get fixed.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 11:15:56 pm »

Actually, it's almost never.

Far future goals (which come after the 4-year goals) have this:
Boats of some kind might go in early to make different regions more accessible, but you won't be able to be a pirate or an undersea civ for quite a while.
So, you may have boats in possible 4-∞ years and only after that there MAY be any chance of this. So it's possible that never.

Maybe Toady will change his plans, but we can't know.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 11:26:48 pm »

would have been cool to have your own antlatis lol, would open up the possiblity of a ocean race.. Give those Merpeople a reason to exsist *cough* not that they don't pull their weight anyways, I've tryed embarking near an ocean I've just never got the hang of it

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 11:36:29 pm »

I found an easy way to do this sort of, embark somewhere cold in a lake, when the water freezes you have to build really fast and secure hallways and stuff in the ice, if you don't all your work is water and you have to wait for it to freeze again.
The only other way is to create your own lake on a map with walls and canyons or something.
It's still a pain though because I have a whole flooded fort with survivors and artifacts in it on about 5/6 levels of my fort and I really wish I could save them.
Darn you dwarf fortress and your unable to be pathed waters, these dwarfs can swim but arn't smart enough to use their swimming abilitys in ways that would be helpfull at all.