Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fortress Design  (Read 1731 times)

zestorum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fortress Design
« on: March 04, 2010, 05:58:45 am »

Well... I have to admit, I abandon most of my fortress because I hate how I design them(even if they are well designed). I'd like to look how everyone here does there fortesses, do you make a little fortress and design your main fortress after that? I build my main fortress from the beggining and I hate how they turn out. Any tips?

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress Design
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 06:01:23 am »

Definitely learn to think vertical.  I plan out my fortress around a central 3x3 staircase and try and keep things symmetrical and blocky.  It might not be super creative (that comes later in Megaprojects) but it helps keep things under control.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 06:06:23 am »

i build keeps up in to the sky made of wood to piss of the elves;D
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

zestorum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 06:09:52 am »

1 Build giant wood castle.
2 Wait until elves come.
3 ?? ???
4 Profit!  ;D

Fien

• Bay Watcher
  • I kinda miss 40d, I knew how that worked.....sorta
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 06:11:23 am »

Have you considered adorning the top? Nothing will piss an elven caravan off quite being able to look up and see your citadel flipping them off for the last 10 miles to your fort.
In his house at Fondledbread, bored Cthulhu sits playing.

zestorum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 06:13:00 am »

Definitely learn to think vertical.  I plan out my fortress around a central 3x3 staircase and try and keep things symmetrical and blocky.  It might not be super creative (that comes later in Megaprojects) but it helps keep things under control.
Thanks for that, but do you dig into the mountain or dig straight down? Also how wide are your corridors? Finally, do you dig a smaller fort first?

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 06:21:31 am »

Thanks for that, but do you dig into the mountain or dig straight down? Also how wide are your corridors? Finally, do you dig a smaller fort first?
Generally, I find a good spot and dig straight down, build walls and stuff around the entrance up top.  I usually just have place my dig designator in the center of the staircase, hit shift+right two times, shift+up two times, then designate shift+down 4, shift+left 4 times.  This is for storage and workshops.  My living quarters are generally the same size, but I only dig out 1 tile wide halls and then make 4 rooms in each quadrant of the square.

I've been thinking of expanding any and all halls to 3 tiles to alleviate traffic and FPS woes.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

zestorum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 06:23:55 am »

Thanks, I might look into that idea.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 09:56:55 am »

-snip-
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 12:40:16 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 10:53:41 am »

I dig into the side of a mountain, remove nearby ramps (about twenty spaces to either side) wall off the entire area ramps are removed from except for a four tile wide five-seven tile across draw bridge over a pit. the rest usually varies depending on the area.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2010, 11:11:41 am »

I use 31x31 microforts. They don't spread out at all, they're just upside down towers.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-7725-treatysmokes

Easy to set up, easy to work with, a pain in the ass to defend. You'll want to put serious thought into how to keep enemies out, either the liberal use of traps or full time military guard (or both). Beyond that though, they're good forts. Very efficient and easy to run.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2010, 11:27:40 am »

My forts are to Horizontal, but they are well designed, plenty of stockpile room, workshops less than four squares away from the stockpile, and much more.
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2010, 11:54:46 am »

I like to try new designs. I always put one or two in a new fort, but I'm saving up a bunch for the upcoming release ...

I have notes .. lemme get the notes ...... ah yes.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit: That block of text sure was unappealing.  ::) fix'd!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 12:01:27 pm by Aspgren »
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Dorten

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2010, 11:17:36 pm »

My signature. Also PageBend at DFMA. I got so used to this kind of layouts, that I make it, even if I don't want to...
Cacodemon 2nd Leutenant
medals: 8/40
specials: 30/44
badges: 13:8:3:0:0