Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Metasuggestion: seperate proposal/direction lists  (Read 555 times)

Michael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Metasuggestion: seperate proposal/direction lists
« on: December 25, 2009, 08:31:44 pm »

It seems clear to me that the "Eternal" suggestion lists will need to be flushed when the next DF release finally comes out, since it is going to be so different.  It's not just that individual suggestions have been resolved, but that the urgency of suggestions not directly resolved will change.

For instance, "burrows" (hate that name, for if I had the feature in my present 40d16 game, I would mainly use it to divide the aboveground into sectors...) could be used to bind a workshop to a specific stockpile, effectively allowing material selection, a highly desired feature in the current list.

Also, one thing that annoys me about the current list are the broad suggestions like Underground Diversity and Improved Hauling, which unfairly compete for votes with the more detailed specific ideas.  However, the broad suggestions may not be entirely worthless -- some people do want to just push in general directions.

So, I'd propose, as a meta-suggestion, that in the new incarnation we have two suggestion lists.  One list of "Proposals", with tight rules for acceptance, and a looser "Direction" list, which allows vague citing of gripes.

Rather than have three votes in each category, it might also be good to give people 5 Proposal-votes and one Direction-vote, since Proposals will be more numerous yet less work for Toady individually.

(I'm aware that someone posted almost the same thing with different terminology as #53 in the main Eternal Suggestions thread.  But it doesn't seem to have been followed up on.)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Metasuggestion: seperate proposal/direction lists
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2009, 10:40:50 pm »

It seems clear to me that the "Eternal" suggestion lists will need to be flushed when the next DF release finally comes out, since it is going to be so different.  It's not just that individual suggestions have been resolved, but that the urgency of suggestions not directly resolved will change.

Eternal Suggestion Voting probably isn't getting flushed and Toady's going to post announcements so that people can re-allocate their votes.  Didn't you see my reply to you in the List thread?

The Eternal Suggestion list should just be flushed and started anew after the next release.  The game will change so much that even the priorities on suggestions that aren't directly resolved will be utterly changed.

For example the current #3, "Workshop material selection" will become far less urgent when Burrows can be used to hack up an equivalent.

Even if you don't agree with Michael at least admit SOMETHING needs to be done about Eternal Suggestions.

Eternal Suggestions is a great tool that is bogged down by oddities to be polite about it.

He's not going to flush the entire list.  I don't see the big issue.  We've identified the relatively few that will become obsolete; those will get removed, pending review.  As for the others, and Michael's concerns about priorities shifting post-release:

Hopefully something like a dev log announcement and an announcement here will catch most people once the release comes up.  Since the releases after this one are going to figure in the top 10 suggestions and so on, I think the added emphasis should bring enough attention back here to get people to revote if their votes were dropped.

How bad would it be if the new script also meant a wiping of all votes and/or suggestions? I can probably avoid it, but it would help the new design if I could start completely anew.

Since the votes have gained some official importance for the next series of releases, I don't think the current votes should be purged unless they are saved in some way.  Of course, I could just do that, and use those as the list I'm working from while the new systems attract votes.

Also, why isn't this in the ESV thread?  There's discussion going on right now about voting methods.  If you want to have a discussion with zagibu, the person who's actually writing the new voting script, that's the place to do it.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 10:44:23 pm by Footkerchief »

Michael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2009, 01:48:01 am »

Also, why isn't this in the ESV thread?  There's discussion going on right now about voting methods.  If you want to have a discussion with zagibu, the person who's actually writing the new voting script, that's the place to do it.

A. Because I don't believe in piling everything into one big monster thread.

B. The essence of my idea was mentioned early in that thread, but was forgotten amongst all the other discussion there.  Giving the idea (split lists) it's own thread should avoid that drowning-out problem.

Michael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 04:44:02 am »

Since my scheme to draw attention to this idea (which appeared in the main ES thread long ago but fizzled) by putting it in its own thread has apparently failed, I've decided to escalate by putting it into Eternal Suggestions itself.

How meta....