Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Return to Fort Coldlake  (Read 1074 times)

Riversand

• Bay Watcher
  • Gem-Tastic!
    • View Profile
Return to Fort Coldlake
« on: January 15, 2010, 06:31:23 am »

Journal, day one, 11th Granite, 21

It's cold! i don't know why i was sent here to reclaim this old fort... but here i am, Freezing my spotted tail off, and guess what? only the upper floors of the fortress are accessible... everything below the 'water-level' is solid ice... no telling what the burrows look like. The old access point ,from the map we had from the last caravan that got news from here, said that there was a new underground burrow UNDER the lake... the old burrow is sealed off, and had an access tunnel under the water.

No telling how bad this place is off... but i have been giving the task of leading this pack, to rebuild this place... and don't get me started on the items strewn all about the ice... I'm not going to go out there and get that junk... I'd rather let it fall to the bottom of the lake than get it... no telling when this damn place will thaw out... it smells of old death here.

It seems that the windmills are still working at least, and the pumps seem to be intact, even if they are frozen over.

--------------------------------

this is going to be a story fortress of a fortress reclaim i am doing. i made a cool fortress and figured it would make an interesting story.

I am using a personalized version of Gnolls, my own Kutari, a feline anthro race, Rysith's orcs, modified a little, and my own Glassmetal mod, with a botany mod as well.

I might turn this into a community fortress. The original fortress was about 5 years old. most of the fortress is below the water level ,and just as i thought, the map spawned ice where ever it could, and water too. some in the oddest of places.
This is Dwarf Fortress! If we can chuck magma at innocent wildlife, we can do ANYTHING!

It was at this point that I realised that dwarves are actually the essence of chaos. What else can make perpetual motion machines, recursive statues with more building materials than the average tower and has such a short attention span that a damn fine chair can off-set the death of their entire family.

Riversand

• Bay Watcher
  • Gem-Tastic!
    • View Profile
Re: Return to Fort Coldlake
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 06:41:09 am »

Journal, day 6, 17th Granite, 21

Well... the lake thawed out... the ponds are still blocks of ice on land... well at least the pumps are working... now we might be able to get down below... no guarantees.

We still don't know what happened to the previous gnolls here... it was near four score gnolls... did they all die... did they desert? all i know is that this place gives me the chills... bones were everywhere, elves, Kutari, gnoll... human, slave and non i think... and i think dwarves and goblins too. The items that were on the lake fell to the bottom, when the ice melted. the tower is still standing, obviously. we are setting up a temporary dining room while the lower levels drain of water. By the gods, it is still cold.
This is Dwarf Fortress! If we can chuck magma at innocent wildlife, we can do ANYTHING!

It was at this point that I realised that dwarves are actually the essence of chaos. What else can make perpetual motion machines, recursive statues with more building materials than the average tower and has such a short attention span that a damn fine chair can off-set the death of their entire family.

Riversand

• Bay Watcher
  • Gem-Tastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 07:21:35 am »

Journal, 8th, 21

Ugh... lost track of the days here... it's been so busy... removing doors.. .swimming for my life, trekking through muddy water.. i hate it. The farms are accessible now, and so is the old burrow. The mill is still powered, not much use right now... Found the old nobles quarters, with old cougar bones. from the looks, female, both of them... they were tethered in there, with bowls nearby.

There is also a small pool of magma near the nobles rooms... hah... probably for heating, but how they got the blood of mountains here... i don't know, but the burrow is nice and warm at least. We have the lower levels of the tower done, but we are having to slowly bail out the stair-well of water, it is flooded. Too narrow for a pump to be set up in there.

The old burrow seems to have partiall flooded though in the time that it was abandoned.

there is even an old ballista in part of the burrow.

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 08:53:14 am »

Cool, a mystery fort. What happened here, why was it abandoned, ohmygodwhatISTHATTHING!!!!

Your writing style is okay. Try bringing in some of the other reclaimers as well. Otherwise they'll just be faceless automata and we won't care when they die horribly later. Plus, as conflict drives a story, having some internal conflict will help push the story along until you get to the real external threats.

Looking forward to reading more.  :D

Riversand

• Bay Watcher
  • Gem-Tastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 10:58:27 am »

Thanks for the advice. Right now i am taking a break from Coldlake... not feeling to.. up to it, if you know what i mean.

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 07:44:06 pm »

How about a bloodline game? I'm up for anything. It would be my first succession game, but I'm definitely not my first experience. I've been playing for a few months, and I've gone through most of the wiki. I use a mac, so I have ZERO lagging.
your hoard, your dwarves, and your fortress.
I prefer Hoard, Horde, and Hovel...

Riversand

• Bay Watcher
  • Gem-Tastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 12:45:22 am »

Problem is, i would have to send every file i have, and well, i have heavily modded my game.

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 03:36:41 am »

How is that a problem? Zip it up and use http://www.gigasize.com/ or http://www.2shared.com/ (It seems like most succession starters use this)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 03:46:23 am by Darkond2100 »
your hoard, your dwarves, and your fortress.
I prefer Hoard, Horde, and Hovel...

Riversand

• Bay Watcher
  • Gem-Tastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 12:14:28 pm »

I might make this a succession game, i need to think about it. if so, then you will be first in line.

Duelmaster409

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_FIGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 12:25:11 pm »

And can I be SECOND in line?
Dwarf fortress: Teaching uni level geology to sadistic elf killers for years.