Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best fort in a year  (Read 802 times)

Dendou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Best fort in a year
« on: January 04, 2010, 12:04:00 am »

I'm new and was wondering what other people consider a "good first year on the job".
So post the accomplishments you've made from the time of your embarkment to the first dwarver caravan arriving (I know that's not quite a full year)

Right now I have a 100x3 hallway with a battery of ballistae made out of masterpiece parts of both ends(both protected by chanells), each dorf has a grand bed/coffin/table/throne, my army is 0(other than a half dozen war dogs), I have 16k in tradable goods, a couple of stonetraps, a main dining area, a floodable entrygate, 6/7 legendary dorfs, and almost done with my first ever waterfall ;D

I know most of you can probably beat that easy but I still feel proud.  What kind of contraptions have you guys got?

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Best fort in a year
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 12:39:00 am »

Last fort I started, by the time the first caravan showed up, none of my dwarves had starved to death or been eaten by carp. That was a big win for me.

Can't say that was still true by the time the second caravan arrived, though.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 12:52:55 am »

Definitely mine. I'm in a desert with no wood and an aquifer is proving trouble, and i've only lost about 13 dwarves to the giant bats in the cave :D

(yes, i'm kidding, this is going horribly wrong, and i'm loving it)
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 01:03:06 am »

I'd have to say the one I'm playing right now. I dug into a small mountain turned into pyramid (bottom level was able to fit the largest sized stockpile -1, before the first caravan I had 2 farms producing food, a river redirected to supply water all, a trade depot set up and secured by walls and traps and a single military dwarf and a few wardogs, I could've just sealed the door shut and been happy, but I'm trying not to do that.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Chewykittens

• Bay Watcher
  • Never befor has the letter "c" been so appetizing
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 01:21:42 am »

I empty wagon a lot so if I have no deaths and enough bone/leather crafts to buy a pickax or battle ax I'm happy. Of course if I do have enough, they don't have any...

Danjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 02:54:03 am »

If I do it right, I can usually establish a suitable dining room, private bedrooms, fully smoothed walls/floors, and a constant food stockpile. Most times, I do a haggard job of it, being too busy mining out a permanent stockpile and industry area, and making an overly elaborate bridged entrance.
Quote from: mrbobbyg
Hey, I'm cool with you tying a dog up and shooting it with a ballista if you're short on elves, but there's not need to lie about it to us.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 03:05:39 am »

I usually don't try to over-do it during my first year because I use orcs and they are attracted to my fortresses rather quickly. Usually what I do is set up enough farms to last me for quite a while, set up a basic defensive perimeter, including drawbridge systems. I also try to clear the land near/set up the base of where my first project will be set. Other than that, I don't do much during the first  year.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Mapleleaf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 03:21:44 am »

A good first year for me is when I get a barracks, an entrance hall and a nice 3 z level dining room, fully smoothened up and running.

First caravan usually arrives when that's finished, after that comes stockpiles/farms.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 04:56:10 am »

SURVIVING.
But this is insane mode...
starting on the edge of a map with the sea.
terrifying region.
UNDEAD WHALES AND MILLIONS OF UNDEAD FISH SWARM.
no time to get a wall up to block them out :(.
reclaimed this place... like 10 times already, part of the wall is up...

damn i want this megaproject to be done...
Its basically going to be a dwarven prison complex :D
(no sane dwarf would try to escape out of fear for the moat i shall channel around it... and the skeletal fishies that will ... unlive in it.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

labouts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2010, 05:22:20 am »

I love moats and towers. For me, it is a good first year if I set up a very large moat with big drawbridges and erect a good tower without losing any dwarves or getting low on Food/Drink. Bonus points if the moat is magma.