Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What grade would you give Dwarf Fortress (v0.28.181.40d)?

A+
A
A-
B+
B
B-
C+
C
C-
D
F

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Grade Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2007 times)

DFAddict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Grade Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2010, 07:48:58 pm »

I didn't know I was going to spark such a controversy about grading rubrics. :P

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2010, 12:26:48 am »

Then there is the screwed up grading scale used around here...
92-100 A
85-92 B
72-85 C
64-72 D
0-64 F

Amalgam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2010, 12:49:17 am »

A+. I considered just giving it an 'A' "just to be fair," but then I thought for a while.

WARNING: NERD RAEG >:(((((((((((((((
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As for how DF compares to other freeware titles, it is definitely up there with the best of them if only because it does thing that no game has done, ever. A great number of features in DF have probably only been imagined until now, never put down on paper. DF's world gen and legends mode in particular is impressive because it creates a unique world and simulates interactions between every single one of it's denizens at a personal level. Or at least that's the vision. It's not quite there but HOLY FUCK it exists! This is the kind of stuff I dreamed about when playing old RPG titles, I wanted a BIGGER and more detailed world. This has of course been attempted before, but games like Oblivion and Fable 2 completely miss the point. (Sorry, probably should have spoilered that too... >.>)

Radivnal

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't make me fall on you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2010, 01:29:23 pm »

*inserts two cents*

I have to say I'm with Amalgam on this one. There are only so many times you can be sent on an "epic quest" to hunt bears to prevent the farmers' sheep from being eaten before you start hitting the deja vu "glass ceiling". Dwarf Fortress manages to circumvent that glass ceiling from the beginning with its long-heralded motto: Losing is fun! I honestly can't think of another game which encourages the chaotic tumult of kitten-butchering dwarf-berserking apocalypse...at all...ever...

Dwarf Fortress is one of the rare few games I've experienced in which the game itself (effectively a "simulation" game) created a truly "sandbox" effect. Sure, there are a healthy number of simulation games floating about...but nothing to this level of detail, and certainly nothing to this level of detail during its alpha stage. The honestly surprising thing about DF is that, despite being graded during its alpha stages, it's easily competing for the attention of gamers (those that have climbed the learning 'wall') against the mainstream, big studio productions.

I think we all need to take a step back from the apparent contraversy for a moment and realize the purpose behind a game, which is to be fun and entertaining. I think we can generally agree that DF accomplishes an acceptable awesome level of "Fun and entertaining"...but we have to remember that it's being developed by one programmer and one writer and still in its infancy, which are monstrous hurdles in themselves.
Speaking of which, how is fire in the new version?
out of personal experience, where a dwarf was set alight by a magmaman, ran up 150 flights of stairs, and divebombed into the booze stockpile, I'd have to say fire is the same as always.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2010, 01:57:10 pm »

*inserts two cents*

I have to say I'm with Amalgam on this one. There are only so many times you can be sent on an "epic quest" to hunt bears to prevent the farmers' sheep from being eaten before you start hitting the deja vu "glass ceiling". Dwarf Fortress manages to circumvent that glass ceiling from the beginning

I disagree. Ideally, yeah, this is true, but right now, Dwarf Fortress suffers from an extreme lack of long-term goals for the player. The only thing you can really do in a long-term fortress is build giant pointless structures, and adventure mode (by Toady's admission) is hardly even playable right now, partly due to the fact that the only actual things you can do for anyone consist of the same kind of "epic quest" to go kill an enemy of the given civilization.

I'm not trying to insult the game here; it's highly incomplete, and what's already been done with it is pretty great to begin with. However, I don't understand why people can give a game an A++++ rating when one of its two gameplay modes is nigh-unplayable and most of the game is severely incomplete or full of features that are obviously bugged or missing.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Lukas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2010, 02:23:02 pm »

Then there is the screwed up grading scale used around here...
92-100 A
85-92 B
72-85 C
64-72 D
0-64 F

lol yep we have the same here in the local public schools. I forget what Guilford College goes by though (in GPA scales)

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2010, 03:57:45 pm »

It's easy enough to rate if you rate it as an alpha. As just a game, I can sit down and compare it with all the other games in my library, and realize it has a lot more going for it than they do already. I could take any generic fantasy game if I wanted to, say...

• Travel generic landscapes!
  • Explore generic locations!
  • Swing and fire generic weapons and spells, to do generic damage!
  • ...to generic enemies!
  • Do the same plot over and over again!
  • Say goodbye to affecting the landscape!
  • 23 spawns of 'Peasant', everyone's favorite generic flavor character!
  • Up to seven variables represent the sum total of all your NPCs' generic personalities!
  • Fight premade plot enemies for a true challenge!
  • Don't throw generic vomit!

And these are the games I like and play when I'm not playing DF, so I can't really set with giving them high scores and leaving DF behind. The only reason they aren't in the dust is because of...

• Play Online!
  • Do plots once or twice!
  • Fight in Real Time!
  • Graphics on High!
  • Play online some more!

So yeah, I gave it an A. What happens when v1 arrives? Rank Inflation.
Pages: 1 [2]