Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Democracy df community game.  (Read 674 times)

Thanshin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Democracy df community game.
« on: January 04, 2010, 06:31:26 am »

Has anyone tried starting a democracy df community game?

With rules such as:
- One recognized good player "The mayor" does the playing itself. (taking other community games as example of playing quality, for example).
- Actions and strategy are voted. One dwarf, one vote.
- First dwarfs equate first players. If one dies, that player stops voting until next migration.
- Immigrants give votes to players in the vaiting list and are assigned in order. Dead players get to pick dwarf from the first immigration wave, to reenter the game.
- Mayor vote counts as one, but dissolves ties.

The initial dwarfs choose their skills but from then on, voting should be used to decide things like:
- Initial equipment.
- Embark point.
- Initial targeted design (textual or with simple blueprints).
- Strategy to follow.

The "mayor" starts building the most voted initial targeted design and, as soon as he faces a decision, he pauses and asks for a vote. For example:

- "Bituminous coal found. Should we make a smelter?"
- "In the initial design there are no fields", shall we make some?"
- "Food is too low. We need a better food strategy."
- "Skeletal raptors killed the hunter. Should we go get his axe?"
- "Skeletal raptors killed the axe retriever. Should we raise the bridge?"
- "Skeletal raptors killed the lever puller. Should we build a wall on the corridor to save the still living dwarves?"

ShunterAlhena

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Democracy df community game.
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 08:12:08 am »

It would be very slow, no? Having everyone (or at least a majority) available, for example via instant messaging, is a difficult task.
fox has become enraged!

Thanshin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 08:18:26 am »

Oh yes. Democracy games are very slow in any game. It wouldn't be especially slow in DF, but still it'd be quite slow.

Usually the voting is done by forum for the greater enjoyment of the rest of the community. Only the living players vote, but everyone can suggest.

Maybe it's not as slow as you can imagine. Many topics are voted each time and quite some work can be done between votes. The results of a voting can define the strategy for quite some time, if nothing strange happens. A maximum could be set on one season, for example.

ajar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 08:23:12 am »

I'm eager to try this. The problem of democracy is that most are too busy doing something else than doing democratic politics. I think.
And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened. Jesus-

Thanshin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 09:18:05 am »

Ok, I wasn't sure whether there had already been df democracy games.

I'll move the rules to the community games forum for discussion.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 09:22:29 am by Thanshin »

64-bit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 06:07:45 pm »

what if you only voted on realy big stuff, like megaprojects or say the army. that would allow the game to run longer between votes

Dendou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 07:28:40 pm »

sounds awesome to me.  I'd definitely join.  do the starting seven at least get to pick their skills.