Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Catchyname mod  (Read 1739 times)

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Catchyname mod
« on: December 29, 2009, 03:14:16 am »

I realize the week before the next edition of a game comes out is hardly the most auspicious time to put up a new mod, but what the hey.  It's fairly well tested, so hopefully there won't be too many embarrassing mistakes...

Contains 4 new civs, 3 new megabeasts, generally stronger megabeasts, one new power, and 4 new HFS.  Includes the hydra head fix from dig deeper or age of heros, I forget which.

[edit]
I forgot to mention one important fact:  I set crossbows (and archammers) to be two-handed weapons, so you need to tell your marksdwarves to use two hands.  Archammers are supposed to be small catapult things that shoot heavy, blunt cylinders.  They are less powerful than crossbows.  I added them because I put in a fair number of things that aren't overly bothered by piercing damage.
[/edit]

Files hosted in zip format on my Google sites account.
http://sites.google.com/site/dfcatchynamemod/mod

Installation instructions:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Civilizations:
Quickling
Antediluvian
Irin
Firbolg
Megabeast
Power
Fun stuff
Spoilered for thoroughness, but all that is included is some basic flavor/descriptive text that you should probably read.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 01:32:25 am by D_E »
Mods I've done:
Zelda mod-mod, Beta in the Wild DF 47.04
Illithid Empire mod DF 31.25 (update canceled)
Spotter's Guide to Illithids (Genesis mod-mod) genesis 3.19a4 (update canceled)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Catchyname mod
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 06:51:21 am »

I realize the week before the next edition of a game comes out is hardly the most auspicious time to put up a new mod

Do you know something I don't? I though we were looking at a Feb release at least.

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
  • He is utterly unaware of his own intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 08:10:11 am »

You can use Dwarf Fortress File Depot for hosting, you know?

Dark_Tundra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 08:37:48 am »

Just a side note; Antideluvian, I beleive, translates directly to "was around before god flooded the earth".

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 08:42:11 am »

Just a side note; Antideluvian, I beleive, translates directly to "was around before god flooded the earth".
Yes, thank you. We all have google too. :P

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 11:02:53 pm »

Irim, pronounced Ee-ream, are a specific type of heavenly being known as watchers, the majority of which are fallen because they mated with human females to produce the nephalim, and partially because of them, G*d flooded the earth.  Irim is the plural, I guess Ir would be the singular, but I've never heard of them in the singular.

One Nephalim survived the flood, by the way, a giant named Og, who did it by litterally clinging to the side of the closed ark for the full duration. Og was blessed with invincibility when he helped Avraham get his nephew Lot back.  Og later lost his invulnerability by warring against the Hebrews, but not before fathering a race of lesser giants (Anakim) that the Hebrews were also instructed by G*d to exterminate when they got to the Promised Land.  They didn't exterminate all of them though, until David slew Goliath with the famous sling.

Nephilim like Og weren't the norm.  Og looked human, he was just something like 50 feet tall, and was quite frankly the runt of the Nephilim.  The ugly runt.  (His children, the lesser giants like Goliath, were only 13 feet tall or so)  When you hear Nephilim, you need to think "Greek Titan".  Monstrous forms made of the elements, commanding the weather, with powerful magic, hundreds of feet tall.

So understand that the parents of the Nephilim were not exactly simple "winged humanoids".
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 11:20:44 pm by Fieari »

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 01:31:43 am »

I forgot to mention one important fact:  I set crossbows (and archammers) to be two-handed weapons, so you need to tell your marksdwarves to use two hands.  Archammers are supposed to be small catapult things that shoot heavy, blunt cylinders.  They are less powerful than crossbows.  I added them because I put in a fair number of things that aren't overly bothered by piercing damage.

I know that actual angels aren't the winged humanoids most people think of, but I figured representing the Irin (Irim?  Wikipedia* says Irin) as humanoids wasn't too far off, due to the mating with humans bit.  The Arcangels are a mix of cheribim and seriphim (and Diablo.  That's why they have tentacles).  Is Ir the proper singular?  I do want to find out what the singular and the adjective forms really are, but for now it was fake Latin all the way!

The Antediluvians as a vampire clan comes from the World of Darkness vampire games, I believe, but that's all I know about it.  I liked the name, and mixed in the Atlantis-type stuff to justify it.

I didn't know about DF File Depot, I'll put it up there at some point.  I saw people posing mods in code boxes here, and thought "huh, and I just separated everything into separate files."

*the almighty all-knowing never-inaccurate
Mods I've done:

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 03:09:50 am »

Yeah, I can confirm that the singular is Ir.  Plural is definitely Irim as I read it.  The consonants are ayin yod reish yod mem, and the vowels are two cheriqs, one under the ayin, the other under the reish.  Ayin is a silent consonant taking the vowel sound alone, reish is an "R" sound, and mem is a "M" sound (the yods here indicate the presence of vowels without telling you which vowel it is).  Put it all together, and you get Irim.

Now, to get the correct spelling in hebrew, I looked at this link which also matches the transliteration of Irin, even as it uses the exact hebrew letters I specified above!  I can only assume that this is another case where the Ashkenazi (Northern European) transliteration/pronounciation method is different from the Sephardic (Spanish and Israeli) method.  I'm only studying the Sephardic because I actually want to go to Israel some day.

To continue my earlier tangent though...

I'm not really objecting to your use of Irim as winged people, I just thought it was odd making Archangels megabeasts while Irim were a civ.  In my understanding, Archangels are pretty low on the power scale, while Irim are far, FAR more powerful than most deities in other religions. That was my point of detailing Nephalim.  The Greek Gods are less powerful than a Titan, and a Nephalim is equivalent to a Titan.  Irim are the fathers of the Nephalim.  Get where I'm going here?  Archangels are more like some of the weaker greek gods (while angels themselves are more on the lines of the various demigods).

We make a big deal about archangels because they're simply the most powerful spiritual beings that were designed by G*d to directly interact with human beings without blowing our brains apart merely by looking at them.  Think of Irim as beautiful human-looking C'thulhus.  Sure, they may not have squids for faces, but they'll still blow your mind.

Now, if you want Irim as a civ and still have a megabeast above them?  Kerubim are spiritual beings designed for completely obliterating opposition. They have omnidirectional superweapons and will really ruin your day.  And they're far, far, far lower on the totem pole of sheer awesome might than Seraphim. (note the "im" endings on each, which again, is the plural form)

Of course, every fantasy game these days uses the names... it's just the so few put the names into anything even barely resembling the original context.  So feel free to ignore me.  I just like to ramble on about things when I know about them.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 03:12:36 am by Fieari »

kobot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 07:58:12 am »

Tolkien took great liberties with the word "dwarf" when he started adapting european mythology for his own purposes too and it seems to have worked out okay.

quibbling over semantics aside, I think that your mod sounds really interesting and am downloading it now.

how much playtesting have you done? i'm kind of dubious about the survivability of some of your races past worldgen... but i guess it depends on how you've implemented the descriptions

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2009, 01:48:44 am »

I did a fair amount of playtesting to ensure that everyone lived through worldgen, showed up in fortress mode, and didn't instantly die due to a lack of internal organs or whatever.  I have done essentially no long-term, multiple-fortress testing.  Births stop after worldgen, right?  If so, the quicklings will tank hard, since they follow a high birth, high mortality strategy, but their initial population after worldgen means you'll get a fortress or two out of them.  The Antediluvians are meant to be a defeat-able menace, essentially a megabeast civ; the passing of the Antediluvians should be part of the world's gradual transition from the fantastic to the mundane.  The Irim are likewise meant to be a limited resource; if you let their caravans get killed, soon there will be no more Irim (They have a DAMBLOCK of 60, though).  The Firbolg are able to take care of themselves.  I am a little confused as to whether or not the game tracks casualties to enemy civs during fortress mode.

I have to admit I was disappointed in how the quicklings turned out.  They raided my last fortress a few times, and then basically sat things out while the antediluvians raided me over and over again.  So I changed everyone's active seasons to hopefully allow more variety when it comes to selecting attackers.  This was the version I sent out, so hopefully the change fixed the problem.  I have another test fortress running now.  We'll see how it goes.

@Fieari:
Nah, I like learning about this sort of thing. 

Ir and Irim it is, then.  Do you know how to convert a noun to an adjective in Hebrew?  Is there an equivalent to the English -an/-i/etc postfixes?

I'm a little confused as to the power level of the Nephlim, then.  I was under the impression that they were about equal to the Greek heroes in terms of power, but my source is, essentially, 5 sentences from Wikipedia.  Do you know the names of any other interesting ones?  I want to make them a semimegabeast race, but have no idea what to do with them.

As far as relative power of Archangels and Irim, there are a couple of reasons I chose that setup.  One important reason, though, was to communicate exactly what you noticed:  the Irim are not strong.  I don't know the actual story, but I was thinking of these as being the Irim after the whole marrying mortal women thing came to light.  God was not thrilled, and has withdrawn his grace from the Irim, banishing them to earth to live as mortals*.  The Archangels are pretty low on the celestial totem pole, so putting powerful, alien Archangels in charge** of the Irim civs seemed a good way to imply this.  That said, though, my Archangels are basically cherubim with seraph wings, right down to the omnidirectional superweapons (dragons' fire.  But I forgot the Lion aspect).

I also seem to be confused about the power level of the Irim, though.  I was under the impression they were of the lowest denomination of angel, though the Bible passages quoted on Wikipedia just say "children of god."

*Maybe.  The DF world is polytheistic, so that's just one possible explanation for the various clans of winged humanoids that seem to be taking up space out there.

**Archangels are powers rather than megabeasts.  I used the excluded spheres list to set things up so the goblins get demons and the irim get archangels.  The quicklings randomly chose between forest spirits and mercurial queens***.  It works pretty well, although the exclusion between quicklings and archangels is not perfect, and occasionally an archangel turns up in charge of a quickling civ.  My current fortress has this in the world history, and my engraver loves putting pictures of the archangel burning up dwarves all over everything.  Always a different dwarf, too.  And always the same battle.  It must have been a bloodbath.

***For about 14 seconds.  I've noticed the worldgen algorithm has a REALLY low opinion of the value of speed.  Mercurial queens are 3 or 4 times faster than humans and dwarves, and played reasonably cautiously can slaughter an entire town without backup.  But they tend to die in the first worldgen battle they participate in.
Mods I've done:

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2009, 02:41:56 pm »

I've been looking for names of the Nephalim, and they're hard to come by, other than Og's lineage.  The Irim's names are easier to find.  I did learn more than I remembered though, so here's some details.

Nephilim seem to have come in four different "breeds".   
* Anakim, (literally, "long necked ones", but more colloquially, "strong and tall ones") who were "three thousand ells tall" according to the book of Enoch, and caused earthquakes by their footsteps and leveled mountains and were making a serious attempt at physically dismantling planet Earth.

* Zamzumim, (literally, "those whose speech is a buzzing sound") who seem to be lords of the air, described as blotting out the sun.  Think about the greek titans who were basically living tornadoes.

* Rephaim, (literally, "ancient ones who bring death") who were more manlike, but supposedly able to utilize some sort of mind control on mankind in order to drive them mad, or into war. They were still huge, by the way, just not as big as Anakim or Zamzumim.  A source I have describes their femurs as being 18 meters (50 feet).

* Emmim, (literally "terrifying ones") don't seem to have a lot of details I can find, other than that they were warriors.

The various types of Nephilim also mated with humans, somehow, don't ask me how (maybe before they got too big?) and their children were not quite as big.  And their children's children were smaller still, and so on and so forth.  When you got down in size a fair bit, then you get Gibborim, (literally "Great ones") who were more like the Greek Heroes you were thinking of.

Now, as for the named Nephilim?  The only that I could find were in relation to Og.  Apparently, Samyaza (one of the Irim) begot Ahijah the Rephaim, who begot Og.  Those are the only ones I can find whose names were recorded.