Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Running Dwarf Fortress on a crappy 600 MH computer?  (Read 1729 times)

Duelmaster409

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_FIGHT]
    • View Profile
Running Dwarf Fortress on a crappy 600 MH computer?
« on: December 29, 2009, 01:04:53 pm »

Yes, this computer is that crappy. My computer literally falls to its knees and says, "STOP RUNNING THIS CPU-EXPENSIVE GAME YOU PRICK!"

Fortunately I do have a dual-core gaming computer that runs Dwarf Fortress excellently when I designate a whole core just for it and another to run nothing but windows in the background and maybe some music I put up to compliment Dwarf Fortress. I just want to know, is anything to increase FPS the slightest bit on this computer? Yes, I've turned off weather and temperature and turned on Partial Print. Is there anything else I can do to increase FPS?
Dwarf fortress: Teaching uni level geology to sadistic elf killers for years.

Jifodus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress Projects
Re: Running Dwarf Fortress on a crappy 600 MH computer?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 01:18:15 pm »

Use a pocket world, a 1x1 fortress area, and avoid really steep areas.

But based on the 600MHz, I'd say you won't be getting more than a couple FPS tops, even with my suggestions.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 01:30:53 pm »

Disable cave-ins too, and embark on a map without running water.
Also limit number of dwarves, and cage / butcher any animals you have.

I have AMD Duron 1800Mhz.
If I am able to play 5x5 fortress with 50 dwarves or even 90 if I disable all stuff and get rid of pets, you should be able to play 20-30 dwarves on small map too.
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 02:47:46 pm »

Go to Cern and steal their liquid helium. Immerse this substandard technology in said supercoolant, overclock computer like no computer has ever been overclocked.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 03:09:35 pm »

Go to Cern and steal their liquid helium. Immerse this substandard technology in said supercoolant, overclock computer like no computer has ever been overclocked.

Liquid He is pretty durn cold.  I think that might actually slow things down more than let them go faster without worrying about waste heat.
(Electrons need to move too, you know ;) )

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 03:22:36 pm »

It would take a sophisticated series of floodgates and screw pumps to get that He flowing just right so it would cool without up and shattering your machine.
I brake for stumble bumblings

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 04:24:41 pm »

It would take a sophisticated series of floodgates and screw pumps to get that He flowing just right so it would cool without up and shattering your machine.

That too.  Also, the container, the floor, your desk, and anything else it happens to touch or be within probably 10 feet of.

shadow_slicer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 06:55:40 pm »

I've played DF with a 600 MHz computer. My laptop is 600 MHz. I actually started playing DF on this computer. It is definitely playable, but don't expect it to be fast. I think I was only getting ~15 FPS. Seasons took hours. Don't do anything with water. Don't expect a large fort: a 2x2 with around 20 dwarves, and 6 animals was my limit.

Of course then I found the Linux version so I could run it reliably on my Desktop  ;D. Of course, recently I've been able to run the backend on the desktop and frontend on the laptop, which actually seems faster than just using the desktop alone.

Leerok the Lacerta

• Bay Watcher
  • Linuxer
    • View Profile
    • The Online Journal of Leerok the Lacerta
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 07:38:24 pm »

I've played DF with a 600 MHz computer. My laptop is 600 MHz. I actually started playing DF on this computer. It is definitely playable, but don't expect it to be fast. I think I was only getting ~15 FPS. Seasons took hours. Don't do anything with water. Don't expect a large fort: a 2x2 with around 20 dwarves, and 6 animals was my limit.

Of course then I found the Linux version so I could run it reliably on my Desktop  ;D. Of course, recently I've been able to run the backend on the desktop and frontend on the laptop, which actually seems faster than just using the desktop alone.

I'm pleased that someone else knows the pleasure that is XWindows and Dwarf Fortress.

Shzar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009, 09:57:02 pm »

Yes, this computer is that crappy. My computer literally falls to its knees and says, "STOP RUNNING THIS CPU-EXPENSIVE GAME YOU PRICK!"

Huh. I've never met a computer that has knees and swears at people.
000634 □ [adventure mode][environment]   jumping into water while on fire resulted in steamy death

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2009, 10:01:35 pm »

Huh. I've never met a computer that has knees and swears at people.
You may consider yourself one of the lucky few.
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 12:45:14 pm »

is it made of sapient pearwood or is it demon powered?
Nom nom nom