Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Talk #5: Feedback  (Read 45268 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Talk #5: Feedback
« Reply #75 on: December 14, 2009, 10:54:48 pm »

Naturally. By the way, i even suspect it's the true reason why DF isn't opensource and isn't going to be in near future. The only theory that survives 30 seconds of thinking. It's simple: by now, Toady got things to be proud of as a programmer. So even assuming he's sure it got no semi-proprietary pieces (e.g. copypasted examples), no way he'll publish DF source as it is now, complete with pile of old %fertilizer% at its bottom. He'd sooner walk up the street naked.  :)

Nah, the DF I/O source he released via Battle Champs (which is directly responsible for the 40d# branch project) contained some seriously ugly code.  He's already walked up the street naked, as it were.  My guess is that those ugly parts are mostly code he'd been reusing for like a decade in other game projects.  I think you're severely overestimating how much pride he takes in his programming skill.  He explained his reasons for not open-sourcing DF here, with a follow-up post here.  Those are about as in-depth as you could ask for.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 14, 2009, 11:04:51 pm »

Yea, he doesn't want to share something that is basically his job.

His job supported by charity.

Or allow his lively hood to get locked into someones "extremely good" interface. I am sure this will be produced someday.

The second part is a little bit paranoia, but still.

He's more likely to give you a rundown on his life than the over-arching Dwarf fortress arcitecture.
His life is actually dwarf fortress, and dwarf fortress is actually his life.

Do you understand?

TBeholder

• Bay Watcher
  • the shade of something you remembered to forget
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 15, 2009, 08:47:28 am »

I think you're severely overestimating how much pride he takes in his programming skill.
Well, it was a half-joke anyway.  :)
   He explained his reasons for not open-sourcing DF here, with a follow-up post here.  Those are about as in-depth as you could ask for.
I see. "Know how to do it the right way, but not ready for this, so not going to start". Hmm, i really didn't expected it's about project perfectionism, though should, given that the project control is an usual problem. Sad, but quite understandable, at least for me. <shrug> Well, then i guess all we can do is to wish Toady luck and see in which direction things will go.

Yea, he doesn't want to share something that is basically his job. His job supported by charity.
Yeah, and then it all would rely on PayPal, like a Firefox extension or... something. It'd be like with that Finnish guy - what his... ah, Linus: he wrote his terminal program, lovingly upgraded it, then he published it open-source, and look now, who ever remembers him while looking at a terminal program?.. A horrible fate. :(
Do you understand?
I just looked it up on Footkerchief's links. You needn't quote the best of that thread, Andir already summarized it;)
But yes, now i understand why "Escaped Lunatic" is a basic rating. The Moon shined upon that thread brightly indeed, and now i inadvertently brought it on this one (sorry, guys...).
Nafferton said: “See me chase that boy till he drops!” I said: “You can’t get your knife into an Assistant Commissioner.” Nafferton told me that I did not understand the administration of the Province.
- "Pig"

Xanares

• Bay Watcher
  • Cut them all down!
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #78 on: December 15, 2009, 09:10:32 am »

Hah.. that's quite some nerve. Jesus Urist...  ::)

mallocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 15, 2009, 01:11:27 pm »

Transcript is out, if anyone was watching this thread waiting for an announcement

Edit: Whoops, I see Toady covered that in the first post. Disregard the redundancy, nothing to see here.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 01:36:11 pm by mallocks »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 15, 2009, 01:42:30 pm »

Transcript is out, if anyone was watching this thread waiting for an announcement

Edit: Whoops, I see Toady covered that in the first post. Disregard the redundancy, nothing to see here.

Thanks Castle Mallocks

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
  • Listening to Toady make trumpet sounds since 2009!
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #81 on: December 15, 2009, 02:28:37 pm »

Thanks for your hard work Mallocks!!!
Rainseeker writes comics!  http://rattownstories.com

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 15, 2009, 07:21:22 pm »

Would it be possible for you guys to release these as Podcasts aswell? On iTunes? I'd love to have the DF Talks archived in my iPod's Podcast Category, thing. :)
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #83 on: December 16, 2009, 03:39:25 am »

I think we discussed it and Rainseeker was going to look into it.

kawaiidesunekochan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 23, 2009, 01:24:10 am »

I love the talks, but I think that the delivery of this one (for constructive criticism's sake) wasn't all too great, with the "like"s and "ums" and "yeahs" and stuttering detracting from it. Don't know why it happened, because the others seemed pretty well rehearsed, but this one didn't draw you in the same way the others did.

The Cat Attack in the beginning made it a bit unprofessional, too. Sorry, guys.
Oh whine harder why don't you. They never set out to be professional and it would be boring if they did. It's this personality that helps to make DF great rather then just another boring gray sandbox fest that mainstream media cranks out in record numbers.

CaptainNitpick

• Bay Watcher
  • [FINDS_FLAWS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 23, 2009, 10:22:26 am »

Can we please not restart arguments that have been dead for two weeks?

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #86 on: December 26, 2009, 08:07:54 pm »

Oh whine harder why don't you.
Sure :) ! After all, he asked for constructive criticism, and I gave it to him, in as kind a manner as I could.

They never set out to be professional and it would be boring if they did.
Please don't be such a fan boy that you can't take criticism, even on behalf of others. DF talk 5 was significantly less "fluent" than his other podcasts, which don't have nearly the amount of "ers" and "likes" and "ums" in them. Talking in advance about what you're going to talk about and thinking about what you're going to say greatly helps alleviate this.
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 27, 2009, 02:55:33 am »

DF talk 5 was significantly less "fluent" than his other podcasts, which don't have nearly the amount of "ers" and "likes" and "ums" in them.

They've all had lots of ers, ums, etc.  Toady would have to utter a solid string of ums for there to be a noticeable drop in "fluency."

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 28, 2009, 02:32:12 pm »

DF talk 5 was significantly less "fluent" than his other podcasts, which don't have nearly the amount of "ers" and "likes" and "ums" in them.

They've all had lots of ers, ums, etc.  Toady would have to utter a solid string of ums for there to be a noticeable drop in "fluency."

I think like, 50% of his speech is Ums anyway, so if we assume random distribution, then statistically, sooner or later a long chain is inevitable.
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 29, 2009, 08:11:51 am »

I do love DF Talks, but this one *did* seem lacking in something compared to the others... Needs more messing around, methinks! ;D

I don't mind either way. I listen and I learn whilst I'm doing something that doesnt need that much attention in the background.
Like managing a seven-year old fortress (Baww..!) and constructing a super 20-level fortress - above and below ground, MWUHAHAHA.

Goblins then came and destroyed about 60 peoples, then left...
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]