Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Underwater races?  (Read 1318 times)

Therion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Underwater races?
« on: December 27, 2009, 12:42:22 am »

First post and not native english speaker, so forgive mistakes.
Is there any way to generate a intelligent race that can actually survive underwater? I know creatures are able to move around freely in water, but I have some questions:
1)Can you build on 7/7 water?
2)Can you create a race that:
   -Breathes underwater and on outside;
   -Is playable and intelligent;
3)I know nothing about raws and modding, but is there any (easy) way to play with other intelligent races?

Such race would have it's own adventurers and stuff. And being able to actually use the underwater, there would be space for more watery-stuff, like new fishes, other species and perhaps vegetation under the water. Also, it would be really useful to create oceans with bigger z-sizes, if there is such thing.
But what I really want is to be able to build huge underwater cities, and wait until the stars are right.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 12:44:07 am by Therion »

Halmie

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb!
    • View Profile
Re: Underwater races?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 12:56:49 am »

1) Sorry, no building under-water.

2) Use [AMPHIBOUS](in creature folder) and [CIV_CONTROLLABLE] (in entity folder) and [SWIMS_INNATE](creature folder) would mean they don't need a swimming skill.

3) Add [CIV_CONTROLLABLE](entity folder) to the race you want to play and take it off dwarves.
You might have to do some other tweaking to get it bug free though.

More experienced modders will probably come in at this point and tell us all about it.
Meh.

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 01:01:46 am »

Adding the [AMPHIBIOUS] token to the creature raw means that they will breathe when underwater - however, currently pathfinding in Dwarf Fortress regards water and open space as hazardous, meaning that your creature will cancel work due to dangerous terrain if it is submerged even if it can breathe underwater.  This problem also applies to the [FLIER] tag.

So, tl;dr no, you can't have a functioning underwater playable civilization.

In regards to underwater vegitation, I'm not sure.  The underwater ooze counts as soil, if I recall correctly, so it might be possible to cause plants to grow on it.  New and interesting fishes are very possible and have been frequently created by other modders.

Bigger oceans falls under the custom worldgen parameters, which sadly I'm not terribly familiar with.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 01:03:58 am by Lofn »
Also known as Zuhayr.

Therion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 10:02:37 am »

Oh well, I guess underwater temples will have to wait. Thanks for the info on playing other races; I'll look around in the raws and read online for info on modifying it. Again, thanks for the attention. And maybe on other version...

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 08:47:39 pm »

And IIRC the game is currently hardcoded not to allow you to even designate construction in anything more than 1/7 water.

shadowsofwhite

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:moustache] Steam ID: TheHengeProphet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 12:13:05 pm »

I do wish that an amphibious race could work and build underwater. It would make things much easier for me.

Your questions have been adequately answered; however, underwater temples are possible without modding or using amphib races (though having an amphibious race would increase the survivability), using molds and magma. It would be a sort of megaproject to undertake. I have been working on one myself, using using an amphibious race (I intend to clean up any excess submerged detritus via adventurer). The process is complex, but functional. If any would like to know, feel free to ask.
Dev-status:
Drakelings: Dev halted indefinitely.
Illithids: Dev halted indefinitely.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 06:49:17 am »

Is this the process where you drop magma into the ocean in specific shapes and it forms obsidian walls and sinks to the bottom?

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
  • He is utterly unaware of his own intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 08:09:09 am »

Either that, or lignite block in a magma-safe bin, or craploads of pumps.

Oh, and say goodbye to your fps if you are using the block method.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 08:12:02 am »

Yeah dropping a burning coal bin into the ocean even brings my I7 to its knees...

shadowsofwhite

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:moustache] Steam ID: TheHengeProphet
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 03:14:34 pm »

Is this the process where you drop magma into the ocean in specific shapes and it forms obsidian walls and sinks to the bottom?

Yes, it is where you "cast" each level to the desired shape and drop it in as one gigantic cavein. The mold walls will fall in and leave debris at the water floor, which can be cleaned out by an amphibious advenurer. This is the least FPS intensive way to build underwater.

Either that, or lignite block in a magma-safe bin, or craploads of pumps.

Oh, and say goodbye to your fps if you are using the block method.

This evaporative method will definitely fry all but the most insane compters as the processors try to path every bit of water.

My method is definitely simpler than just dumping magma into the ocean, though. You only get one cavein message per level dropped.
Dev-status:
Drakelings: Dev halted indefinitely.
Illithids: Dev halted indefinitely.