Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Dragonmen... with dragons?  (Read 754 times)

IronValley

• Bay Watcher
  • Purple Smile!
    • View Profile
New Dragonmen... with dragons?
« on: December 29, 2009, 07:25:35 am »

So, I've seen people playing with "Half Dragons" instead of dwarves in fortress mode, with the new version, and the caste options. This would now be even more awesome, since you can have say, 1% chance of a child, instead of being a normal Half Dragon, be born as a full size dragon!

Have them be 1/100 of the population, genderless, HUGE, and breathe fire... with only military jobs enabled... or possibly as some sort of noble...

Or, make them female, noble, and basically become breeders... spewing out multiple litters every year (IF they form a relationship that is... would be rather awkward to be married to a giant dragon...)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New Dragonmen... with dragons?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 07:29:07 am »

It'll be interesting to see how the game handles radically different playable castes. It's obviously capable of it, as the castes system handles things like sexes now, so there's no reason as to why it shouldn't be able to do that for anything more complex. Seems like we've finally got a solution to the "faux-civver" trainable-sentient issue now, in a sense at least... some interesting ideas are bound to come up.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 08:39:36 am »

In the genre from which half-dragons originate, dragons can morph into humanoids.  That is when the breeding is done.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 10:32:07 am »

<- Avatar is relevant.

I was already thinking along these lines, though more at having diffrent cromatic 'breeds' of half dragon with different abilities. (Reds are magma immune, greens are immune to most poisons, white could wander a glacier in their undies and not even feel chilly, that kinda thing.)  I was also thinking of having an extremely rare platinum caste that is larger stronger faster and smarter than the others.

But I'm not sure at how many castes can be listed under a single creature.  I'm kinda worried I would max it out.

EDIT:  Having a full size dragon happen occasionally would be interesting as well and fits in with the setting I use
Spoiler: details (click to show/hide)
But I would be surprised if Dwarf Fortress currently has any extra food requirements for larger members.  If a dragon is hatched I want you to have to struggle to keep it fed, not just have a free giant death machine.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 10:47:02 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 03:26:47 pm »

Now there's a fun idea.

I've been doing the same thing playing as Dragons instead of dwarves, it would be interesting to see what you could do with the caste system.

I wonder if the flying glitch could be fixed as well where civs could fly without spamming errors and canceling the path.
Oh wait, "insane" doesn't work on this forum.
Crap, can't think of an alternative.

Halmie

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 09:26:06 pm »

Yeah, I was think of making an insect mod to try out castes. The only problem is giving the queen a 1% chance of being born yet a 100% chance one comes along on embark.
Meh.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 10:07:08 pm »

Maybe make the queen a custom noble and make the requirements of one showing up 'at least 1 resident'?  I doubt you can do the custom nobles quite that specifically, but it could be possible to make it so that one is almost guaranteed to show up on the first migrant wave.  That might solve your problem.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 10:10:36 pm »

that would be cool, I would definitely throw my support behind well made antmen mod. or even just an ant colony mod!

@Greiger you can specify casts for custom nobles, so if you have a queen cast, and the queen noble slot set to only allow that cast to fill it, it should work. Granted if there are no queens then the noble slot remains empty. should make for interesting world gens