Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I'm back. What have you been up to?  (Read 512 times)

Brdn666

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerlord
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
I'm back. What have you been up to?
« on: December 28, 2009, 01:31:46 pm »

Hey guys. I've been gone from DF for a few months. My return has made me wonder.. What have you been up to? Also, what have your general fortress themes been? Are you into seiges now? Since getting into DF, how have your interests evolved?
The only thing that's not afraid of a dragon is a marksdwarf.
Or maybe a mechanic, if given enough time to prepare.

Anticipation

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I'm back. What have you been up to?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 05:12:36 pm »

Well not a great deal has changed in a few months, the new version is (probably) in the last moments of development. Stonsense is a bit further along (I think).

Personally I embarked on a 2x2 map with a magma vent for something different. I've been playing DF for a while now and thought it was about time that I started using a bit of magma. What I didn'n know about however was the fire imps that comes with magma. And because the map is so small the fire imps for fired up about dwarfs being around anytime.

A savescum later and this time I decide to build a big wall around the magma and just leave a little hole for the magma to get out that the dorfs use. Three fire related mason deaths later and I give up....

On the plus side I had a fire truck load of Fun =D

...I might go reclaim that fortress now.

Next time
Reality is like a wasps nest, stay away and you won't get stung.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 08:55:49 pm »

my general fortress themes have been the same.
digging into a mountain, hopefully on a desert, with a MASSIVE staircase going right down to the bottom.
I am currently digging out the inside neccessitys before i head upwards and flatten most of the mountain where i shall put the fortifications and such on the outside, will look epic once its done.
A problem ive hit along the way though is freaking tantrum spirals, goblins come and kill exactly one peasant and since everyone is friends with everyone, they all go nuts.
well except a few people...
my mayor especially goes nuts and starts running around beating the CRAP(not carp) out of everyone.
This causes even MORE tantrum spirals.
Now to make this even more fun(and Fun) i dig out the entrance to the Happy fun zone. turns out i have froggys, which come and start ripping up the place.
Fun fun times.
Although its hilarious i want this fortress to succeed so i save scum a bit.

# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 06:09:54 am »

Well, I have myself returned about a month ago after a prolonged absence.

Presently I'm running a strictly above-ground no-digging-allowed-for-whatever-reason fort in a location that features a swamp, a stream and a semi-open magma pipe. Current industries: farming, clothing, woodcraft. Planned industries: animal breeding (+ related leather/bone), fishing, glass, minor smithing and jewellery (import-reliant).

Funnily enough this fort looks more interesting and promising to me than all my traditional forts combined. :-)
Seems to be the way with things on this forum; if an invention doesn't involve death by magma then you know someone's going to go out of their way to make sure it does involve death by magma... then it gets acknowledged as being a great invention.