Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: salt water bug in new version?  (Read 866 times)

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
salt water bug in new version?
« on: December 29, 2009, 07:26:08 pm »

does anyone know if toady fixed the salt water bug in the new versoin with the new contaminats system? (i.e. all water on a nocean fort is salty, including river water and aquifer)

also, will the new underground features extend below the ocean?

aslo also, any word yet on building downward?
Quantum dumps are proof of "memory" being a perfectly normal dimension in DF. ~Gazz

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: salt water bug in new version?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 08:18:43 pm »

does anyone know if toady fixed the salt water bug in the new versoin with the new contaminats system? (i.e. all water on a nocean fort is salty, including river water and aquifer)

Saltwater can be purified by running it through a pump into a completely constructed container.  If any part of the water touches natural land, it makes the entire body of water salt.  At least that's how I understand it.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 08:27:26 pm »

I think I asked a similar question earlier in the list thread and the answer was no.

I don't know, but the possibility is there.

Nope.

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 08:28:43 pm »

yes, i am aware of that, but thanks anyway.

i was mostly curious because toady did mention that he was working in the water contaminate system, and i wanted to know if he was going to be fixing this bug as well. it would be nice to embark on a waterfall/ocean fort and have the waterfall actualy be fresh.

and if there are caves under the ocean, and if they have flowing water there is no reason that water should not be fresh as well, as long as it has somewhere deaper to flow to. (of couse there is no reason it could not be salty or brackish either, especialy if it is seap from the ocean above. i guess that would depend on the nature of the stone it was seaping through)

edit: thanks smj, i guess i will hold off on my ocean side fort for the next release as well. it is just too weird for me to deal with the bug, comletly breks the immersion of a seaside fort.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 08:31:03 pm by lucusLoC »
Quantum dumps are proof of "memory" being a perfectly normal dimension in DF. ~Gazz

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 08:45:18 pm »

Actually, now I remember, my question had to do with aquifers, but I think the bug/feature as it is right now is the same as in the new release.

The desalination part would be fine, but yea I agree, the water turning back to saltwater on contact with natural surfaces (especially rock of all things) doesn't make sense. After all, aquifers on islands are fresh and drinkable in real life.