Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Aquariums/Dwarven Fish Thieves?  (Read 2225 times)

dolalmoth

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Aquariums/Dwarven Fish Thieves?
« on: December 26, 2009, 03:02:43 pm »

I noticed that there is very little information about aquariums on the forum, so I was hoping we could compile enough material (even speculative) to put some more on the wiki.

I noticed a quirk in my aquarium:
-either fish die very quickly, or dwarves steal them from the aquariums to eat them
I doubt that the dwarves are eating the fish, since I have more than enough food, but perhaps my fisherdwarves are fishing from it?

So any contribution to this would be great.  Thanks in advance.

Dameleth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aquariums/Dwarven Fish Thieves?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2009, 03:27:14 pm »

Doesn't matter how much food you have, dwarves will sometimes run and eat caught critters, be it fish, snakes, lizards, ya name it.. a dwarf will most likely all too happily eat it over your masterful sugar giant cave spider roast.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2009, 04:49:45 pm »

Are these glass cages, or traps?  Dwarves will eagerly eat creatures out of traps.  They shouldn't touch the ones in glass cages, but those are the dangerous ones like carp.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

MathijsBuster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2009, 05:44:23 pm »

Doesn't matter how much food you have, dwarves will sometimes run and eat caught critters, be it fish, snakes, lizards, ya name it.. a dwarf will most likely all too happily eat it over your masterful sugar giant cave spider roast.

Ewww. So would I.

Anyway, if a dwarf has a certain preference for the fish you have in your aquarium, they'll happily go and nibble on them. But like Slink said, they shouldn't touch non-vermin fish. So what kind of fish are we talking about here, exactly?
Dwarves: Death from Below!

Zeg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2009, 06:29:11 pm »

Dwarves will steal vermin fish (and regular vermin) from cages/aquariums just as fast as from traps. Somehow, someone always wants to eat them. So if you actually want to keep them, for setting up a vermin zoo for example, press t over the cage and forbid the vermin inside. That will stop dwarves eating them.

Though another thought arises: would being forbidden inside the cage stop dwarves from admiring (or being repulsed by) the vermin. I doubt it.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2009, 07:09:00 pm »

I don't know, honestly. Forbidden items will still function if they have one. Forbidding the mechanism in a linkage (not the lever mechanism itself) won't stop the connection, nor will forbidding the trap and cage in a cage trap stop it from caging gobbos. However, dwarves don't interact with forbidden items. So it's possible that forbidding the vermin fish will have the same effect as letting a dwarf scarf them down: no admiring thought. Of course, very few dwarves like vermin, don't they usually like large animals and hate vermin?
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

clc02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2009, 11:09:56 pm »

Likes purring maggots for their... Quiet purring I think?  I've seen it a couple of times
Only in dwarven culture is alcohol poisoning a death worthed investigating, while being impaled through several toes, a eye, and a thumb from a spiraling water[3] is not.  Because everyone knows, the only way a dwarf could get alcohol poisoning is if someone put poison into the alcohol.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2009, 11:35:36 pm »

Theres also fluffy wamblers and I've seen dwarves who like faeries. Most dwarves detest some type of vermin, but there are some which like various vermin types.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2009, 07:34:53 am »

FYI early on it's pretty easy to feed a fort with vermin alone.  Keep a lot of animal traps handy, assign one or two dedicated trappers (requires as many kennels as you have trappers), assign at least one dedicated animal hauler, and periodically move all trapped vermin to a single cage.  The more traps you have, the less often you'll have to cage everything.  Also, I suggest only stockpiling the empty traps for a handy indicator.  When it runs low, cage everything.

Bonus:  You won't need cats.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2009, 12:03:01 pm »

I just looked over the 40 adults in my current fortress.  Only one likes a vermin (steelhead trout).  A few like two non-vermin animals or beings, and a few like none.  Most like one.  One likes a type of clown.   :o
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2009, 12:11:13 pm »

Ahh yes, burny clown preference. Had a noble who liked them. Was a shame, I was building a plains fortress at the time...
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2009, 02:51:31 pm »

Ahh yes, burny clown preference. Had a noble who liked them. Was a shame, I was building a plains fortress at the time...
Burny clowns are best admired from a very long distance.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2009, 07:21:49 pm »

I actually have a dwarf (one of the founding seven, even) in my current fortress who likes Dragons; "for their terrible majesty".
Entropy is not what it used to be.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2009, 07:48:28 pm »

As far as I can tell, dwarves prize vermin as food over any other food source; if you want to keep the vermin from getting eaten you'll have to forbid it. This is probably a bug.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels