Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: {Pre-game-start discussions} Undead Universe  (Read 770 times)

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
{Pre-game-start discussions} Undead Universe
« on: February 06, 2010, 12:29:03 pm »

Well, I had an idea for a game while I was reading the last two hundred or so posts of Monster Defence (A few pages at 50 posts per page, but as not everybody calls 50 posts a page...).

It would be a similar game, but in theme only.

My idea for the backstory is something along the lines of the universe running out of energy slowly, but a few teams of scientists tried to find ways to counter it. An early effort found a way to store people in quantum crystal matrixes, to be restored later, and it was used so that civilization may be revived later, once the energy issues had been solved, or not have to watch the universe die. Many hundreds of years later or so, one team (The players) had managed to discover a design based on a singularity composed of some purely artificial matter that slowly produces energy at no cost (perpetual energy), though slowly, and the production of that matter requires massive quantities of energy. Hundreds of years later (No such thing as death by old age, having been eliminated long ago), they finally have enough to create a reactor with net energy gain and no running cost. However, during that time, another team had tried to make a way for people to no longer require an external source of energy to survive. It worked well enough that they all used it, but after a few years, it was starting to cause in imbalance in their brains, making them practically zombies. Somehow, they manage to get involved, probably accidentally, in a project to make temporal clones and then decouple the timeline, basically duplicating the object. Some generic reason should prevent it from being usable, or maybe just less useful than the protagonist's. And it should somehow be unhealthy to use on almost anything, but the zombies are relatively unharmed.

The game would take place on an isometric map centered around the prototype reactor, and the game should take place in two playstyles, one where time passes slowly, turn-based, during combat, and another, non-combat, where time passes much faster.

The point of the game would be survival while protecting the reactor. Maybe even building a second, though that would be a very long term goal.

The backstory ensures a potentially unlimited source of zombies, and a method of inserting players mid-game.

Some other technology might be some sort of resource processors that can strip useful materials from rubble, zombies, and anything else, but either inefficiently or slowly.

There is guarenteed to be a large loss of technological competency, that can be recovered somehow. Maybe an early, unexpected, attack corrupted the knowledge database, and by that date the scientists had a robotic manufacturer produce anything they needed. That manufacturer would probably make a good secondary critical structure, that the game would be lost without. MAybe not, though. I'm thinking that both critical structures should be repairable with spare parts and knowledge, neither of those available initially, but easily accuired at the cost of time that could have gone into other developments.

The overall goal of the game would be to present open-ended strategic gameplay merged with a more tactical resource management mode. That way, maybe some players will like one part, others would like the other, so some characters may not even fight, and others might only fight (Others would do both, I guess).

This will not be an RTD, especially since I already have an RTD, and I will get around to updating it *eventually*.

Edit: Forgot to add, for now this is just discussing it, and considering the idea before I actually start it.
Eh?
Eh!

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: {Pre-game-start discussions} Undead Universe
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 03:15:32 pm »

Sounds like lots of fun.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 04:48:23 pm »

Mostly been working on art.

That ugly background is that particular color because, in my opinion, it's even uglier than the other transparent pink colour used often. And that other pink can be useful as a highlited purple, and purple has a decent techish apearance...

For real images, I would convert it to transparent properly, but since that takes additional time, and a program better an MSpaint...
Eh?
Eh!

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
  • In the end, i will win.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 04:51:50 pm »

im in if this starts need any ideas?

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 04:57:31 pm »

I don't *need* ides, since if I had to I could make things up as I needed them, but then I can't guarentee they will be good ideas, so feel free to share yours.

Once I have sufficient graphics and an idea of what I am doing, I will start.
Eh?
Eh!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 09:13:54 pm »

Sounds good, I will keep an eye on this.

As for ideas...
 The combatants are remote controlled artificial constructs, if one gets destroyed the scientist is frozen while a new one is made for them. If the living quarters are destroyed it is game over, so you can keep going while trying to repair the other structures, but there is still a final lose scenario.
 The reactor can be upgraded with additional reaction mass, but suffers from diminishing returns.
 Critical buildings start the game with limited ammunition security systems.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!