Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Potential artifacts per profession/workshop/base material(s)  (Read 3492 times)

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Potential artifacts per profession/workshop/base material(s)
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2009, 05:21:00 am »

Yeah, my turtle shell cage and amethyst door proves that the workshop is not terribly important in limiting the result. The person who created the turtle shell cage was possessed, and none of their likes or dislikes featured in materials or object (he likes tables, for example) - we would really expect this for a possession however. The creator of the door (a jeweller), which was also a possession (yes, I have bad luck with those; 14 artifacts produced and I think about half of those were possessions) happens to like doors however. Make of that what you will.

CaptainNitpick

• Bay Watcher
  • [FINDS_FLAWS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2009, 05:59:16 am »

Miner moods behave like mason moods; it's a bit nonsensical that mining is moodable at all: it has no workshop.

I picture it as the stone equivalent of wood sculpting with a chainsaw. Besides, it's better to have them at the mason's workshop where they have a high probability of making something useful than making some useless craft object.

Hmm, the wiki says woodcutters don't use a carpenter's workshop. That should be changed.

Kinoko_Otoko

• Bay Watcher
  • Behold the saccharine visage of a fluffy wambler.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2009, 09:52:50 pm »

This should be checked by collecting a group of dwarves with preferences for a variety of typically unassociated items (a weapon, an armor, a door, etc) and have each of them enter a couple dozen moods for different professions, first by actually giving them skill in those professions each in turn and then by hacking the profession type with DC.

I'll get right on that. Someday. Maybe...

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2009, 11:51:11 pm »

While some moodable skills are pretty specific (Armorer and Weaponsmith for example), I've never had a metalworking mood use a base material other than metal.

snaggles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2009, 11:55:20 pm »

From my experience, if you savescum to before the dwarf has begun actually working on the artifact, it will be a different piece of furniture.
For example, on the first try, Urist McMason creates an artifact gabbro floodgate. The next reset could have him make an artifact statue.
Mason moods, from what I've seen, don't make weapons, but if you set the mood type to Weaponsmith from companion before work has actually been started on the artifact, it will create a weapon.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2009, 11:58:55 pm »

As I understand it, moods behave like normal crafting professions that use slightly different material restrictions, and which use lists of valid items based on item class rather than valid workshop/profession availability.

For instance, normally you can't make an amethyst door. When a glassmaker gets a mood though, he selects a valid material, meaning glass or raw gems, and a valid item type, meaning a piece of furniture. As a result, an amethyst door is a valid possibility. Similarly, when a mason gets a mood, he selects stone, selects furniture, and goes for it, sometimes resulting in granite beds.

Never gotten turtle shell weapons however, so I couldn't say much on that one.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2009, 09:01:00 am »

Hmm, the wiki says woodcutters don't use a carpenter's workshop. That should be changed.

I agree, but you can "force" your guys to get better (as in: not random crafting ones) moods yourself. What I'm talking about is pretty obvious, but I don't think many people usually keep that in mind (I know I hadn't, until now): have every dwarf whose highest skill isn't moodable, make at least one item with your desired moodable skill. Even dabbling masonry is going to be a legendary grower's highest relevant skill in this context.

Now, you could say that you don't need 10 legendary masons, but It's not about the skill, it's about the item. What would you rather have? Artifact cabinets or artifact crowns? Not to mention that you could make your guys dabbling armor- or weaponsmiths instead.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2009, 02:23:19 pm »

I agree, but you can "force" your guys to get better (as in: not random crafting ones) moods yourself. What I'm talking about is pretty obvious, but I don't think many people usually keep that in mind (I know I hadn't, until now): have every dwarf whose highest skill isn't moodable, make at least one item with your desired moodable skill. Even dabbling masonry is going to be a legendary grower's highest relevant skill in this context.

Yup... in my current Fort I already had a Legendary Armorer and a Legendary Bowyer (from previous Fey Moods), so I went over the list of Dwarves, found everyone who had no Moodable skill (Brewer, Cook, Growers, Peasants, etc) and had each of them make ONE Crossbow Bolt.

My very next Fey Mood gave me a Legendary Weaponsmith. Since my Military is uniformly equipped with Hammer and Crossbow (and cross-trained in both), this gave me the complete set.

I still recall the earlier versions of the game, where you might get stuff like a Cave Spider Silk Sword or a Cat Fur War Hammer.
Never pet a burning dog.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2009, 03:25:54 pm »

I still recall the earlier versions of the game, where you might get stuff like a Cave Spider Silk Sword or a Cat Fur War Hammer.

You're saying that's no longer possible? I think I've seen a groundhog bone statue made by a bonecarver in one of my earlier forts in 40d, so I thought making weapons out of outlandish materials would be possible as well.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2009, 09:03:36 pm »

lol, CAT FUR WAR HAMMER!

cat meat mace, the devestator.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2009, 10:17:00 pm »

I can safely conclude that profession does not influence the type of artifact, because all of a sudden my MINER claimed the mason's workshop and made a legendary weapon rack.

I had that happen with a strand extractor...his next highest profession was mining, though, so I think mining is always going to use a mason's workshop, as someone mentioned above.

KG
Pages: 1 [2]