Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Multiple fonts for zoom  (Read 579 times)

Michael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Multiple fonts for zoom
« on: January 04, 2010, 06:27:05 am »

I'm resurrecting one idea I posted back in July, and putting it on Eternal Suggestions.  Rather than necro the old post, I'm starting fresh.

The idea is simple: allow multiple fonts/tilesets to be specified in the init.txt file, and switch between them to zoom, instead of using scaling.  Note that I'm not asking for different sizes on screen simultaneously.  (Zoom is a 40dX feature.)

My main interest in this feature is so I can have one large font to use for screens that presently never use more than 80x25, and a small font to give a large gridsize for the bulk of the game.

Last time, one objection was raised in that this would cause trouble with supplemental graphics tilesets, as these do not always provide the same repertoire of extra tiles.  But, as I asked then (and never received a reply), how come it is not already a problem that the windowed and fullscreen font sizes may differ?

Actually, it wouldn't matter to me if the feature was incompatible with supplemental graphics, as I don't use that.  And also, if supplemental graphics were supported conditional on each alternative graphics tileset being perfectly homologous (ie: replace exactly the same creatures), I think matched sets will be created pretty quick.

BTW, I'm publishing the tilesets I use, to show I'd be ready to use the feature right now.  It includes the 9x16 base font I prefer for the main game, and the 17x42 I prefer for worldgen and site selection.  Since the latter is for the oddball 1400x1050 resolution my laptop uses, I've also included other versions sized for the more common resolutions.

It's at:
ftp://talamasca.ocis.net/pub/michael/beta/sscrawl-0.0.zip

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple fonts for zoom
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 08:20:05 am »

I'm resurrecting one idea I posted back in July ... Rather than necro the old post, I'm starting fresh.

Did the discussion in that thread not go the way you wanted or something?  You're deliberately posting a completely redundant suggestion, so hopefully you have a good reason.